Friday 13 September 2013

The Daily Teaser — 13-9-2013


You know, it has to be said, my nephew, Jude … ?   Is exhausting … !

Bless him, I was over my mothers, yesterday: helping babysit again.

And guess what … ?   He’s found a rubber ball, and thinks it’s GREAT fun … !   Actually, I have to admit, hiding the thing in my pocket got a giggle as well.

Just don’t ask about the two Lego figures … !

At ANY rate, let’s get a move on, shall we?   I’ve a bit of an extended Teaser, today … !

~≈‡≈~

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: and, along with telling us yesterday’s theme was good, ALSO bagged five out of six.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s Dahl themed questions, shall we?   Here they are, along with the ‘How To,’ License and video … 

Q1) 13th September, 1916, saw the birth of writer, Roald Dahl.   With which of the UK’s Armed Forces did he serve, during World War 2?
Q2) Which rank did he rise to … ?
Q3) What was the first of Dahl’s published children’s stories … ?
Q4) Which 1972 Dahl novel saw Charlie facing the Vermicious Knids … ?
Q5) Dahl had a traditional Gypsy caravan in his back garden.   What’s the Romanichal word for such a caravan … ?
Q6) During his scriptwriting days in the 1960s, Dahl created the Child Catcher.   As a minor villain for which film … ?
Q7) Which of his Dahl’s short story collections consisted of material originally written for Playboy … ?
Q8) Name any of the Dahl short story collections turned into a TV series for ITV.
Q9) As a result of an injury to one of his children, Dahl helped produced the Wade-Dahl-Till Valve: used in the treatment of which condition … ?
Q10) Finally … who illustrated Dahl’s 1982 book, The BFG … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 12th September, 1966, saw the debut episode of The Monkees aired on US tv.   But on which US TV station … ?
A1) NBC.
Q2) More to the point, the series was all about a fictional band called what … ?
A2) The Monkees.   (Would the person who said ‘The Beach Boys’, please stand up … and go home in disgrace …)
Q3) Name any of the band’s members.
A3) Mickey Dolenz, Michael Nesmith, Peter Tork, and the late Davy Jones.
Q4) The series last episode was shown on Labour Day of which year of the 1960s … ?
A4) 1966.
Q5) In which year of the 1970s was the band’s last recording session, in its original lineup … ?
A5) 1971.
Q6) Finally … what was the bands’ only UK number 1 … ?
A6) I’m A Believer.
Enjoy those.

I’ll leave you with THIS song … 


And this thought, from Roald himself …
“I have worked all my life in a small hut in our orchard.   It’s a quiet, private place, and no-one has been permitted to pry there.”
Roald Dahl, 13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990.
Have a good day … !








*        I couldn’t resist it, Debbi.   Actually, I couldn’t resist q2, yesterday, either.   In the live pub quizzes I used to run, that one would’ve earned me a lot of confused or suspicious looks.   You have to LOVE one like that … !

2 comments:

Pink Fluff said...

1. RAF
2. (It's a long time since I read Going Solo)
3. The Gremlins
4. Charlie & the great glass elevator
5. (I thought this was about Roald Dahl)
6. Chitty chitty bang bang
7. Kiss kiss bang bang
8. Tales from the crypt (worth a guess)
9. I guess it is neither dislocated shoulder nor appendicitis. Perhaps it locates dogs in heaven?
10. Quentin Blake

Debbi said...

Been a long time since I've heard that tune! :)

1. The Royal Air Force
2. squadron leader
3. A Piece of Cake
4. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
5. dukdame
6. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
7. Kiss Kiss
8. Tales of the Unexpected
9. hydrocephalus
10. Quentin Blake

Wish me luck driving home today! :-/