Monday 16 September 2013

The Daily Teaser — 16-9-2013

It’s Monday, again: and once more, the start of a new week.

And I have to admit to being mildly worried.

Usually, every other Monday, I have to heard for Basildon, to attend the mandatory  government work programme.

Except this week, it’s been arranged for this coming Thursday.

What worries me … ?   Is that, given this is SEETEC we’re talking about, I’m worried about having my benefits stopped for the wrong reasons.   SEETEC are the company who run the local work programmes and can have a claimant’s money stopped if they feel he or she is not following the rules.

Like attending when you’re told to.   It’s even happened to me: when I had a hospital appointment I couldn’t avoid, and told SEETEC about in advance … !   I ended up having benefits cut for a fortnight: despite having told them about the appointment, and been reassured I’d not have to go as I’d told them about it, they immediately told the Job Centre about a failure to attend.

I think I can safely say I wasn’t happy.

I think I may just have to have a quiet word: in advance, you understand.

Let’s get moving on, shall we?

~≈Û≈~

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: along with telling us she had a pile of forms to fill in and was thankful for a short quiz, she also scored five out of five.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s Teaser, shall we?

Here it is, along with the ‘How To,’ License and video … 

Q1) 16th September, 1908, saw the founding of General Motors.   In which US city is General Motors headquartered … ?
Q2) 16th September, 2005, saw the arrest of crime boss, Paulo di Lauro, in Naples.   What name is given to the Neapolitan Italian Mafia … ?
Q3) 16th September, 1620, saw the start of the Mayflower’s voyage, to the US.   From which English town did it depart … ?
Q4) 16th September, 1992, saw the UK leave the ERM.   What did ERM stand for … ?
Q5) Finally … 16th September, 1968, saw the UK’s Post Office introduce its First Class stamps.   Whose head is traditionally on UK stamps … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 15th September, 1916, saw the first military use of the Tank.   As part of the battle of … where … ?
A1) Battle of Flers–Courcelette.   (I’ll accept ‘Battle of The Somme’, as well, as Flers–Courcelette is considered part of the Somme Offensive.)
Q2) Which nation used those tanks … ?
A2) The UK.
Q3) The prototype British tank was known as Little … what … ?
A3) ‘Little Willie’.
Q4) The Landships Committee was the group that first designed the tank.   Which famous politician first organized that committee?
A4) The then First Lord Of The Admiralty, Winston Churchill.
Q5) Finally … what’s the current tank used by the British army … ?
A5) The Challenger 2.
Enjoy those.

I’ll leave you with this thought from birthday boy, David Copperfield …
“Sometimes we don’t realize how important something is until it’s gone. So I asked our government for permission to let me make the Statue of Liberty disappear … just for a few minutes.”
David Copperfield, born 16th September, 1956
And some serious cheese … !

















*        I know exactly what you mean, Debbi!   I’m left handed, remember … ?   Filling in application forms is something I still, even in this digital age, something I find tedious: as a left-hander, I always found writing by hand, physically painful.   Written English is designed for me: but only in an alternative universe … 

1 comment:

Debbi said...

Just back from a long day at NIH. My hand's a mess, but they're going to take a crack at assessing the damage. So, onward and, hopefully, upward! :)

1. Detroit
2. La Cosa Nostra
3. Plymouth
4. Exchange Rate Mechanism
5. the Queen