Wednesday, 22 January 2014

The Daily Teaser — 22-1-2014: First Footballing

You know, THAT amazes me … 

I have to admit to having had something of a late night.

Happily nattering away yo an old friend, by text message.

And yet … ?

Yet, I fair fairly decent, this morning, DESPITE that … !

I’m probably going to pay for it, latter.

But I’m feeling fairly perky, at the moment.

But given that?   We’d better get a move on, hadn’t we: before I fall asleep at the keyboard.

~≈§≈~

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* and Paul O† putting in their answers: with Paul confirmed he’d posted anonymously, via Facebook,and Debbi thanking me politely for a tip, the day saw Paul scoring six out of ten, with Debbi winning the day on ten points.

Let’s see how they — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?   Here they are, along with the How ToLicense and video … 

Q1) 22nd January, 1927, saw the first live broadcast of a football match: which featured the first live sports commentary.   Which country’s radio service was it broadcast on … ?
Q2) The commentator was Teddy who: Wakeham, Wakelin or Wakelam … ?
Q3) Name either of the teams who played that match … ?
Q4) Which team’s ground was the game played at … ?
Q5) What was that ground … ?
Q6) The other team’s ground — Bramall Lane — is where: North Yorkshire, South Yorkshire, West Yorkshire or the East Riding … ?
Q7) That first broadcast match was what: a 1-all draw, 1-0 win for one team, or a 1-0 win for the other … ?
Q8) How many points would the winning team have earned, towards’ that year’s League competition …?
Q9) Name either of those teams’ current managers.   (At the time of writing: I’ll try my best to keep my eyes peeled.)
Q10) Finally … which of those teams plays its home games in its new stadium, the Emirates … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 21st January, 1976, saw the first commercial flights of Concorde.   What call-sign did British Airways use for their Concordes: Speedbird Concorde, Spudbird Concorde or Bigbird Concorde?
A1) Speedbird Concorde.
Q2) Those commercial flights started at London and Paris: in which small, island nation did the London flight land … ?
A2) Bahrain.
Q3) The Paris flight eventually ended in Rio de Janeiro.   In which South American country is Rio de Janeiro …?
A3) Brazil.
Q4) Concorde flew to Rio de Janeiro … via which African city … ?
A4) Dakar.
Q5) Concorde was initially barred from flying to the US, by the US Congress.   Over US fears about what: oil booms, dotcom bubbles or sonic booms … ?
A5) Sonic booms.
Q6) Famously, Concorde had what shape wings: alpha, delta or gamma?
A6) Delta wings.   (And, apparently, they were ‘ogival’ delta wings.)
Q7) Concorde also had a famous droop nose section, at the front.   What did the droop nose improve, each time Concorde landed … ?
A7) Visibility.   (Apparently, Concorde also had stand-by dropping controls.   The mind boggles … )
Q8) Name either of the airlines that used Concorde — longterm — during its lifetime …
A8) British Airways and Air France.
Q9) What was the name of the Soviet equivalent of the Concorde … ?
A9) The Tupolev Tu-144: which NATO forces referred to as the Charger, and everyone else called Concordski.
Q10) Finally … in which year did its operators finally announce Concorde would be retired … ?
A10) 2003.
I’ll leave you with this tune … 


And this thought from Bill Shankly …
“Someone said ‘football is more important than life and death to you’ and I said ‘Listen, it’s more important than that’.”
Bill Shankly.
Have a good day … 









*        Glad to help, Debbi, glad to help!

†        And telling us Concorde gets bigger during its Supersonic mode.    (Sounds odd, Paul: but I’m ASSUMING it’s due to the heating effect of supersonic flight?    I’d imagine things could stretch … !)

1 comment:

  1. It's snowy here. I envy you your mild winter! :)

    1. UK
    2. Wakelam
    3. Arsenal, Sheffield United
    4. Arsenal
    5. Twickenham
    6. South Yorkshire
    7. a 1-all draw
    8. don't know
    9. Nigel Clough
    10. Arsenal

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.