Ye …
Mothering …
GODS … !
I have to admit, right at the moment, I’m happily indoors.
Very happily, actually: as lovely as my home town can be, it’s throwing down, right now.
While it’s heavy rain … ? Well, frankly, I’m just glad I’m not in the UK’s west country regions: or Wales.
Well, where they’re not actually flooded, or under a foot of water, they’re looking at storms with 80 mile an hour winds.
At Least 80 mile an hour … !
Oh … and red weather warnings: meaning that, in those areas covered by the warnings, there are serious threats to life.
As you can tell, I’m glad I’m not in the west country …
~≈∏≈~
At any rate, today is Wednesday: which means that it’s time for the Gazette’s weekly Teaser.
Here’s this week’s, covered by the usual Creative Commons License* …
Q1) 12th February sees Christian Dior introduce his ‘New Look’ range. In which year of the 1940s … ?
Q2) This was at the Dior’s HQ: at 30 Avenue Montaigne. In which French city is 30 Avenue Montaigne … ?
Q3) The phrase, ‘New Look’ was coined by the then editor of which fashionable magazine: ‘Cosmopolitan’, ‘Vogue’ or ‘Harper’s Bazaar’ … ?
Q4) That year also saw the release of Dior’s first perfume. What was that perfume’s name: Dior Pour Homme, Miss Dior or Opium … ?
Q5) More to the point, which Italian born, French designer, worked on Dior’s perfumes … ?
Q6) In ‘Mrs ‘Arris Goes To Paris’, Mrs Harris went to Paris to buy a Dior … what … ?
Q7) Who performed 2010 song, ‘Christian Dior Denim Flow’: Snoop Dogg, Kanye West or Jay Z … ?
Q8) John Galliano was head of the House of Dior: from 1996 until which year … ?
Q9) More to the point, he hired which South African actress for Dior’s ‘J’Adore’ perfumes … ?
Q10) Finally … In which year of the 1950s did Christian Dior die?
Here’s last week’s questions and answers …
Questions.
Q1) 5th February, 1996, saw GM food first go on sale in the UK: in two supermarkets. Name either supermarket.
Q2) What was the item concerned: sauce, dip or purée … ?
Q3) The item was made from a GM version of which fruit … ?
Q4) While we’re at it, what is ‘GM’ short for?
Q5) A plant or animal that’s GM, is a GMO: what does the ‘O’ stand for … ?
Q6) The first commercially available GM food was sold in the US, and was a GM version of what … ?
Q7) Innate, New Leaf and Amflora are GM varieties of which vegetable: the potato, cucumber or pea … ?
Q8) Many forms of GM corn — or maize — have been made: that produce their own what: inserticides, herbicides or cidebycides …?
Q9) Various religious groups have wondered if GM food will be kosher: what’s the Islamic equivalent to Jewish Kosher food … ?
Q10) Finally … GM foods can also be described as ‘Trans’ … what … ?
Answers.
A1) Sainsburys and Safeways.
A2) Tomato purée: also called passata.
A3) A genetically modified tomato.
A4) ‘Genetically Modified’.
A5) Organism.
A6) Tomato. (As a note for readers, it was branded as the ‘Flavr Savr’. That’s no misspelling: it’s the brand name the company behind it, gave to that specific GM tomato. The genetic modification slowed down the ripening process: and with it, any softening.)
A7) GM Potatoes.
A8) Insecticides. (Sorry, I made up cidebycides.)
A9) Halal food.
A10) Transgenic.
Enjoy those: I’ll see you later.
* Regulars will know already, but for newcomers … all it means is that you’re free to copy, use, alter and build on each of my quizzes: including the Teasers, Gazette Teasers and the Friday Question Sets. All I ask in return is that you give me an original authors credit on your event’s flyers or posters, or on the night: and, if you republish them, give me an original authors credit AND republish under the same license. A link back to the site — and to the Gazette’s, if that’s where you’ve found these — would be appreciated.

No comments:
Post a Comment
I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?
I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.
Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.
Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.
If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.
Thank you.
* I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.
† Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.