Friday 14 February 2014

The Daily Teaser — 14-2-2014: Silly Love Songs

You know, I have to admit, I’ve had a few bob from my Aunty, down in Kent.

Bless her!

I’m going to have to send her a quick note to say thank you!

Frankly … ?   It’s enough to get my iPod fixed: AND do some shopping, as well.

Here’s hoping it’s cleared: I’d like to look in Argos, as well.

At ANY rate … ?

Let’s get a move on, shall we?

~≈Ê≈~

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: along with letting us know about how she’s feeling, also bagging four out of five.   She ALSO managed to dig up the name of Nan Winton: who was the BBC’s first female newsreader, and who I’d never heard of!

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s Loved up questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How ToLicense and video

Q1) Which girl band had a 1964 hit with Chapel Of Love: The Supremes, The Dixie Cups or The Ronettes?
Q2) According to the 1967, Aretha Franklin love song, ‘You Make Me Feel Like A … ’ what … ?
Q3) Minnie Riperton had a 1975 hit with which song … ?
Q4) “Lying in my bed, I hear the clock tick, and think of you.”   Which love song by Cyndi Lauper opens with those lines … ?
Q5) I Will Always Love You provided Whitney Houston with a huge UK hit, in 1992.   Who wrote it?
Q6) The video for which Shakespeare’s Sister ballad sees the band members pillow fight over a comatose man … ?
Q7) Which Beach Boys’ song is used at the end of Love, Actually, and as the opening theme for the series, Big Love … ?
Q8) Which Kate Bush song sees a wife testing her husband’s loyalty: whilst disguised as either a younger woman, OR a Russian granny?
Q9) Which Elvis song was based on 1861 Civil War era song, Aura Lee … ?
Q10) “Oh yeah life goes on. Long after the thrill of livin’ is gone.”   which John Cougar Mellencamp song are those lines from?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 
Q1) 13th February, 1633, saw Galileo Galilei arrive in Rome: for his heresy trial.   His heresy was that Earth, orbited what … ?
A1) The Sun.
Q2) 56 years later, 13th February, 1689 saw WHO named as co-rulers of England … ?
A2) William 3rd and his wife, Mary 2nd.
Q3) 13th February, 1978, saw Anna Ford named as ITV’s first female newsreader.   Who, three years earlier, was the BBC’s first female newsreader?
A3) Angela Rippon.   (It HAS to be said, Debbi’s actually outdone me, in her answers for this set: in giving her answer as Nan Winton.   I’d never heard of her: it turns out she was the BBC’s first female newsreader, preceding Angela by about a decade.)
Q4) 13th February, 1849, saw Emperor Franz Joseph 1st handed a petition demanding the recognition of which nation: or ethnic group, as we’d now call it?
A4) Romania: also called Vlachs.
Q5) Finally … 13th February, 1955, saw Israel obtain four of the seven Dead Sea Scrolls.   These scrolls are generally considered to be part of the what: the Old Testament, the New Testament or the Apocrypha … ?
A5) The books variously known as the Hebrew Bible, Masoretic Text or Old Testament.   (Although, if I’ve understood things correctly, there’s quite a bit of argument about it.)
Enjoy those.

I’ll leave you with this tune … 


And this thought.

Now … 

Go buy some roses for someone … 











*        Thanks, Debbi!   That’s a big help: I’d never heard of Nan Winton!   I can add that to my question database!   (Money’s tight: but I DEFINITELY owe you a very big espresso!)

1 comment:

Debbi said...

Thanks, Paul! :) I can always go for one.

1. The Dixie Cups
2. Natural Woman
3. Lovin' You
4. Time After Time
5. Dolly Parton
6. don't know
7. God Only Knows
8. Babooshka
9. Love Me Tender
10. Jack and Diane