Saturday 21 May 2016

The Daily Teaser — 21-5-2016

Oh, LORD, but my eyeballs feel fantastic.

Mind you, there’s a reason for that.

The simple fact that I was up, late, last night: after finishing work at 12:30.

Don’t you just love shift work?

I do … sometimes.

Then again?

I finished at 12:30: and looking at a 12 ’til 9:30, today.

Lord knows what I’m going to feel like in the morning … 

~≈Ê≈~

But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with Olga scoring nine out of ten, and Debbi scoring ten.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s Questions, shall we?

Here they are, long with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 21st May, 1349, saw the promulgation of Dušan’s Code.   The Code was the law of which Empire: the Serbian, Croatian or Macedonian?
Q2) 21st May, 1980, saw the original release of The Empire Strikes Back.   Who provided the voice of Yoda, in The Empire Strikes Back?
Q3) 21st May, 1991, saw the President of Ethiopia flee the country: during the country’s Civil War.   Who was he?
Q4) Queen Victoria opened the Manchester Ship Canal: on 21st May, 1894.   The Canal connects Manchester two what: the Atlantic Ocean, the Irish Sea or the Sargasso Sea?
Q5) Finally … Henry Cooper lost a major fight: on 21st May, 1966.   To whom?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 20th May, 1873, saw Jacob Davies and Levi Strauss receive a patent for a design feature on Strauss’s jeans: the reinforcing rivet.   What was the rivet made from?
A1) Copper.
Q2) Those rivets went on the base of the fly, and on what: the corners of the pockets, the bottom of the legs or the hems of the knees?
A2) The pockets.
Q3) According to an old tradition, the cloth originally used to make Jeans came from which Italian port?
A3) Genoa.   (The French name for Genoa, I should add, is Gênes.)
Q4) That same cloth was also, supposedly, sourced from a city in France.   Which city?
A4) Nîmes.   (Which is why the cloth’s called ‘denim’: it’s a corruption of ‘de Nîmes’, or ‘of Nîmes’.)
Q5) The fabric used to make Jeans is a type of what: cotton, flannel or linen?
A5) Cotton.
Q6) What — traditionally —  is the dye to used to turn Jeans blue: woad, indigo or añil?
A6) Indigo.
Q7) Whitcomb L. Judson contributed to Jeans, after inventing what: buttons, sewing machines or zips?
A7) Zips.
Q8) What model of Jeans are Levi’s most popular make?
A8) The 501s.
Q9) Expensive, premium price, jeans are known as what?
A9) Designer jeans.
Q10) Finally … leggings made to look like skin-tight denim jeans, are known as what: leggings, jeggings or pegging?
A10) Jeggings.   (Leggings are usually made of spandex: or a similar stretchy material.   Pegging … no, don’t ask.   No, really don’t ask!)
I’ll leave you with this thought …
“Freedom of thought is the only guarantee of the feasibility of a scientific democratic approach to politics, economy, and culture.”
Andrei Sakharov, 21 May 1921 – 14 December 1989.
And this song … 


Have a good day!










*      I’m keeping my fingers crossed, Olga!   But, boy, it’s hard to find anything about it online!   I might just have to do what I usually do: buy and rip the DVD, keep the files, And sell on the DVD!

†        I don’t know if the UK BBC store link that Olga posted will work for you, Debbi: I’m pretty sure it won’t, actually, as you’re in the US.   If I bag a copy, I’ll let you know!

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Serbian
Q2) Frank Oz
Q3) Mengistu Haile Mariam
Q4) The Irish Sea
Q5) Cassius Clay as he was then. Or Muhammad Ali
I was checking. You're right. At the moment BBC Store only sells to people in the UK. I imagine they might distribute to other places, but not sure...
Oh, by the way, I'm off to Barcelona on Monday. My mother was told she'd had her cataracts operation in July and I had already made travel arrangements and then they just contacted her and is having it next Wednesday. Luckily I managed to change my ticket. I'll be around still but might not be able to connect so often. Be well.

Debbi said...

Thanks, Paul! That would be awesome! :)

1. the Serbian
2. Frank Oz
3. Mengistu Haile Mariam
4. the Irish Sea
5. Cassius Clay