Thursday 22 September 2016

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 22-9-2016

Hmmm … 

I had an interview, yesterday.

As I’m sure you’re aware, if you’ve been following me for a while.

That has to be the least enthusiastic interview I’ve ever had.

Most of the interviewers who’ve dealt with me?

Have been slightly more enthusiastic.

Or reasonably good at both faking enthusiasm … and keeping their subject engaged.

This chap didn’t.

Frankly?   The post was in a rent-an-office in Ongar Road: so not far from where I am.

But literally on cheap tables, with cheaper equipment: that literally looked like it had been there for five minutes.

What’s more … ?   The job was commission only.

Which was a major turn off for me: I’ve always been paid hourly, weekly or monthly, with any sales bonuses added on top.

This is on TOP of the fact the place was selling solar-panels, and associated bits of kit.

That’s already got an iffy reputation.

Personally?

I’m hoping I don’t get offered the thing … 

It whiffs … 

~≈®≈~

But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) Which country declared itself independent, on 22nd September, 1908: Bulgaria, Czechoslovakia or Denmark?
Q2) 22nd September, 1892, saw a train vanish: east of Lindal Station.   The incident provided inspiration for The Lost Special.   Who wrote The Lost Special?
Q3) François Duvalier was elected President of Haiti: on 22nd September of which year?
Q4) 22nd September, 1970, saw who make an unexpected appearance in Monty Python’s Flying Circus?
Q5) Finally … The Duke of York’s Picture House, Britain’s oldest continually operating cinema, opened: on 22nd September, 1910.   It’s in which British city?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 21st September saw the first publication of J. R. R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit.   Who played the hobbit, in the Peter Jackson films versions of The Hobbit?
Q2) Brunei joined the United Nations: on 21st September, 1984.   In the English language version of its name, Brunei describes itself as the abode of what?
A2) Peace.
Q3) Britain claimed a small islet 300 miles west of Scotland: on 21st September 1955.   Which islet?
A3) Rockall.
Q4) Malta gained its independence from the UK: on 21st September 1964.   What’s Malta’s capital city?
A4) Valletta.
Q5) Finally … 21st September, 1931, saw the birth of actor, Larry Hagman.   Which mildly nasty character did he play in Dallas?
A5) J. R. Ewing.   (I still remember how huge the ‘Who Shot JR’ storyline was.   Even if I can’t — right now — remember the name of the character who shot him!   I know it was Sue Ellen’s sister, but … … )
I’ll leave you with this thought …
“But I thought, if I’m going to write a book then I’ll just write about things that hopefully everyone can understand: parents, love, bereavement, stupidity, shame.”
Sue Perkins, born 22 September 1969.
And this tune … 


Have a good day … 








*        I think ‘fishy’ is putting it mildly, Olga.   ‘Week old haddock’ is possibly a better way of putting it!   At ANY rate?   I’ve no interviews lined up for today: which means that I’ve got to iron a shirt or two for Saturday.   That’s my NEXT interview!

†        I’m hoping so, Debbi!   I’ve nothing today or tomorrow: so it’s nose to the grindstone, and hunt, today!   Well … that … and iron some shirts.

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Bulgaria
Q2) A. C. Doyle
Q3) 1957
Q4) The Spanish Inquisition! (I always expect them)
Q5) Brighton. I’ve visited it quite often but not recently. I studied American Literature at Sussex.
Thanks for the update. Fingers crossed again!

Debbi said...

I'd avoid that fishy place ... even if they do make an offer.

I've done the cold calling job before. Awful stuff!

1. Bulgaria
2. Arthur Conan Doyle
3. 1957
4. Ringo Starr
5. Brighton