Wednesday 5 July 2017

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 5-7-2017

Hmmm … 

I have good news … 

And I have bad news.

On the upside?

I’ve had a tax rebate!

And they’re like getting blood from a stone.

It is, admittedly, not much of a tax rebate.

But, in theory?

Let’s me pay for a new pair of glasses, maybe a week or so’s rent: and possibly some shopping.

Possibly a copy of Lion that I’ve been promising myself for a while, now.

On the downside … ?

I’ve seen my hours for next week.

Minimal enough that I‘ve warned the main manager at work that my resignation could well be on the table.

Not something I want to do.

On the other hand … ?

Well‡ … 


~≈®≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with Olga scoring five out of five, and Debbi — strictly — scoring four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) The first black man to win Wimbledon, did so on 5th July, 1975.   Who was that man?
Q2) Traditionally, 5th July is Tynwald Day.   Tynwald Day is a holiday on which of the British Isles?
Q3) Elvis recorded his first single: on 5th July, 1954.   Which single was it?
Q4) Cape Verde gained its independence: on 5th July, 1975.   From where?
Q5) Finally … Jean Cocteau was born on 5th July, 1889.   1946 saw him release a film version of which fairy tale?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 4th July is Independence Day in the USA.   It marks the US’s independence from where?
A1) The UK.
Q2) Independence was announced with the Declaration of Independence: as voted on by the US Congress.   Name any one of the five men that drafted that Declaration.
A2) John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, Roger Sherman or Roger Livingston.
Q3) According to the Declaration, all men are created … what?
A3) Equal.   (It doesn’t mention women, I notice: my two regulars have plenty to say about this.)
Q4) The Declaration also says we’re allowed “life, liberty and the pursuit of …” what?
A4) Happiness.
Q5) Finally … The thirteen original US colonies strictly became independent in 1776.   When in 1776: the 2nd, 3rd or 4th of July?
A5) The 2nd.
Here’s a song written by Robbie Robertson …


And a thought …
“I have a piece of great and sad news to tell you: I am dead.”
Jean Cocteau, 5 July 1889 – 11 October 1963.
Today’s question will be answered in tomorrow’s teaser.

Have a good day.



*        I’ll have to bookmark Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, Olga: it always gets a mention when Almodóvar’s talked about!   And I have to make a confession: I’ve never actually seen a Penélope Cruz movie!   (I know she’s married to Javier Bardem, now: but I seem to recall she was dating Tom Cruise at one point.   I’m betting she’s glad she avoided marrying him,  scientology weddings sound VERY odd!)

†        I’m still thinking it’s going to Kris Marhsall, Debbi!   He’d be very competent.   But I still think Tilda Swinton would be fantastic.   Way to expensive, but?   She’s play a long lived, gender hopping, character before now.   (Oh, I’m going To try and have a look at the text, today: busy, busy, busy, today.)


‡        I still think the Flying Lizard’s version is THE version …

1 comment:

Debbi said...

Thanks so much for your comments! I'll go over it one more time! :)

1. Arthur Ashe
2. Isle of Man
3. That's All Right
4. Portugal
5. Beauty and the Beast