Monday 30 October 2017

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 30th October, 2017

You know, I’m possibly going to have an issue: I’ve got a loose tooth.

Which means I’m going to have to find an NHS dentist to extract it.

Always a problem in the UK.

Getting hospital treatment, or a GP consultation is free.

But, like getting an optician’s treatment?

Dentists cost, on the NHS.

Hopefully?

Hopefully, I’ll be able to find one that’s prepared to treat me: an come up with easy payments!

~≈†≈~

Hmmm … 

I’m a fan of both House of Cards and Star Trek Discovery.

And note that, in amongst the sexual harassment claims thrown up in the wake of the Harvey Weinstein affair?

Note that Kevin Spacey has been accused of assault, by Star Trek Discovery actor, Anthony Rapp: who plays Paul Stamets.

I’m … 

Not surprised: but thinking a few more of my favourite series will see similar stories*.

~≈†≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Olga scoring five out of five, and Debbi on four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) Father Jerzy Popieluszko was found dead: on 30th October, 1984.   He was a prominent supporter of which Polish union?
Q2) 30th October is the feast day of Saint Marcellus the Centurion.   He’s also known as Marcellus of where: Tangier, Madrid or Paris?
Q3) The UK’s house of Lords admitted women members for the first time: on 30th October, of which year?
Q4) Jessica Hynes was born: on 30th October, 1972.   Name either one of the two series in which she plays Siobhan Sharpe.
Q5) Finally … John J. Loud was granted a patent: on 30th October, 1888.   For what?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 29th October is World Stroke Day.   World Stroke Day was first marked, when: 2007, 2008 or 2009?
A1) 2007.
Q2) Strokes are caused by poor blood flow to what: the brain, liver or lungs?
A2) Brain.
Q3) What’s one risk factor: high blood pressure or low blood pressure?
A3) High blood pressure.
Q4) What’s another risk factor: diabetes, obesity or tobacco smoking?
A4) All three.   (I’m an ex-smoker, and clinically obese: I could have an issue …)
Q5) Finally … one symptom of a stroke is a loss of what to one side of the body: sight, hearing or taste?
A5) Sight.
Here’s a thought …
“The right honorable gentlemen is indebted to his memory for his jests, and to his imagination for his facts.”
Richard Brinsley Sheridan, 30 October 1751 – 7 July 1816.
And a video … 


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser … 

Have a good day … 




*        In all of that, I wanted to tell you I’d seen more Freak Show.   With Jessica Lange doing her Marlene Dietrich routine?   I’m surprised that have’t had her doing a version of Lili Marlene … 



†        Unfortunately, Olga, I’m damn good at typos!   At any rate … ?   We have to love cinema, don’t we?   The way it picks up a perfectly innocent book, and bends it all out of shape.   Hemingway sounds like he got a lot of the treatment Anne Rice, did, in the wake of Interview with a Vampire: she seriously objected to the casting of Tom Cruise.   And don’t get me started on the Will Smith cut of I, Robot.   It’s a perfectly good Will Smith film.   It’s got very little to do with anything written by Isaac Asimov!   (That’s going to be one of those questions: whether the hyena or Ava should’ve got an Oscar … )

‡        Actually, Debbi, it was all three: diabetes, smoking and being obese.   I tick two of those boxes: and think I might just have a word with my GP, next time I’m in.   At ANY rate … ?   You’re right, getting a half way decent cast is always helpful!   Apparently, John Hurt winged bits in Alien.

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Solidarity
Q2) Tangier
Q3) 1957
Q4) Twenty Twelve or W1A (very funny, at least 2012, I didn’t catch the other one)
Q5) A ballpoint pen
Risk factors are a weird thing. My mother had a heart attack a year and a half ago and had no risk factors whatsoever (here blood pressure increased suddenly, but if the blood pressure increased due to the stenosis on her coronaries or the other way round... It was too short a period to have caused so much damage, but she had a very hard time when my father was ill). Now both my parents have had heart attacks so I have a family history, although so far, touch wood for the rest (and keep up with the you tube videos, I guess). I'm sure I read the producer was imitating the sound of the hyena, so...I remember reading about Anne's Rice dislike for the casting. On the other hand, I think chose very well with with Kirsten Dunst.
Do take care. And good luck with the dentist. (When I got here I tried to get an NHS dentist and they put me on the waiting list and told me it would be a year. On the other hand, I managed to get an urgent appointment once but had to travel quite a distance (I had to go to the outskirts of Doncaster and the poor dentist had a power cut that day. But, the temporary filling held on until I managed to go to the other dentist, so kudos. It it had been closer, I might have gone to him). I ended up going to a private one before my name came up, and once you've spent on X-rays and everything...

Debbi said...

You know, I still haven't seen the Will Smith movie of "I, Robot" all the way through. We'll have to check the library for that one!

From what I saw, I can tell the books were different! :)

1. Solidarity
2. Tangier
3. 1957
4. Twenty Twelve and W1A
5. the ballpoint pen