Wednesday 7 February 2018

Nik Nak’s daily Teaser — 7th February 2018

7th February, 2018.

‘Slightly’ is possibly putting it mildly.

Possibly.

I’m actually up early, in order to catch the first of two buses to Basildon Hospital.

To the Cardiology unit: to check on some chest pains.

That … 

Well, yeah: you don’t get to my sort of age — indeed, my sort of body mass index — with out a few … 

Well, bad habits.

 
 
content provided by NHS Choices



Here’s hoping this leads to some sort of improvement.

~≈§≈~

Moving rapidly on, to a bit of, less personal, news?

I didn’t get a chance to see the news of the launch of Elon Musk’s Falcon Heavy rocket.

But, seemingly?

It went well.

Personally, though?   I happen to know Musk is something of a fan of Iain M. Banks: coming up with his own version of a neural lace, and naming his two landing pads after Banks ships.

Which is sort of my point.

I’m just a little disappointed he didn’t call it the GSV Serious Lack of Gravitas.

~≈§≈~

But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring ten out of ten.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1) 7th February, 1974, saw the Prime Minister call a snap election: during a miners strike.   Which Prime Minister?
Q2) The fastest person to complete a solo, round-the-world yacht trip, did so on 7th February, 2005.   Who was that sailor?
Q3) Leo 1st became Byzantine Emperor on 7th February, 457.   He was also know as Leo the what: Lion, Thracian or Tree?
Q4) The Kwangmyŏngsŏng-4 launched on 7th February, 2016.   By which country?
Q5) Finally … the IRA launched a mortar bomb attack on 7th February, 1991.   On where?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1) 6th February saw Parliament pass the Representation of the People Act: the act that first allowed women in the UK, the vote.   In which year?
A1) 1918.
Q2) It allowed woman over what age, to vote …
A2) 30.
Q3) Men, at the time, could vote if they were over the of what?
A3) 21.
Q4) The first election the UK’s women could vote in, was in which year?
A4) 1918.
Q5) Women could also stand for Parliament, that year.   Who was the first British female MP?
A5) Constance Markievicz.   (Ms Markievicz, as with succeeding Sein Fein MPs, refused to take her seat: instead sitting in the first Dail, or Irish Parliament.)
Q6) Women could also stand for Parliament, that year.   Who was the first British female MP … to take her seat?
A6) Nancy Astor.
Q7) The Women’s Social and Political Union was one of the more militant groups, campaigning for women’s right to vote.   Which Emmeline was one of the group’s more prominent members?
A7) Emmeline Pankhurst.
Q8) Those militants were known as what?
A8) Suffragettes.   Less militant groups were called suffragists.
Q9) What — in 1893 — was the first country to grant women the vote?   (In parliamentary elections.)
A9) New Zealand.
Q10) Finally … When did Parliament introduce a law to let men and women of the same age, vote?
A10) 1928.
Here’s a thought about a small Essex town …
“If any one were to ask me what in my opinion was the dullest and most stupid spot on the face of the Earth, I should decidedly say Chelmsford.”
Charles Dickens, 7 February 1812 – 9 June 1870.
Here’s a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        John Lewis?   Ha!   There’s possibly a cheap gag about doing some shopping, after the protest, Olga^!   On a more serious note?   It got used as the theme tune for Up The Women‡, which is where I came across it: it’s been around for a while.   (I have to say, New Zealand has a permanent place in my quiz question database: because of its decision on women’s suffrage.)

†        I know EXACTLY what you mean, Debbi^!   I don’t know if I’m facing one of those days … but it’s going to be loooong … !   (Getting up early, to catch the bus?   Possibly doesn’t help!   I’ll possibly have to take the Android tablet, JUST so I have something to do …)

‡        I don’t know if you or Debbi saw Up The Women, Olga: but it’s possibly the only comedy I’ve seen to come anywhere near Dad’s Army in tone or quality.

^        Debbi, Olga, how did I do pronouncing the name in Q4?   I think I’m going have to really start keeping an these sort of things, when I write questions!

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Edward Heath
Q2) Ellen MacArthur
Q3) Thracian
Q4) North Korea
Q5) 10 Downing Street, London
Good luck today! Taking the tablet sounds like a good idea. With regards to the pronunciation... ??? I'm listening to an audiobook by an author I know, and when the narrator pronounces the name of some banks and cities in South America, let's say he's less than stellar (good at Scottish and Irish accents, though). They are sites with pronunciation guides, but I've never been very good at it (not sure about Korean, but Cantonese, for instance...I cannot hear the difference between the different vowels).
Thinking of you.

Debbi said...

That Elon Musk project is something else. And speaking of Iain Banks, I'm reading "The Wasp Factory". OMG! :)

1. Edward Heath (we were born on the same day, BTW -- July 9)
2. Dame Ellen MacArthur
3. Thracian
4. North Korea
5. 10 Downing Street, aka, the British Prime Minister's residence (hoo boy!)