Tuesday 6 March 2018

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 6th March, 2018

6th March, 2018.


Yes, it’s official: some of the gang at work read the blog.

Which is nice to know.

Hopefully?

Hopefully, I can possibly persuade one or two of the gang to have a go at today’s Teaser: assuming they’re not to busy.

Bit of a challenge for you, there, folks!

~≈§≈~

Oh, talking of challenging … ?

Talking of challenging, I’m a Dr Who fan.   You’d possibly noticed, hadn’t you … ?

I’m one who’d love to get to a few more conventions than he does: but there you go.

One I’d’ve loved to be at at, was this panel at the recent Gallifrey One convention.

If Wendy (Zoe Heriot) Padbury’s contribution doesn’t  leave you mildly shocked?

I don’t know what will … !

~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in there answers: with Debbi scoring five out of five, and Olga on four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and Video … 

Q1) Cassius Clay was formally renamed on 6th March, 1964: by his religious leader.   What WAS that new name?
Q2) Who was that religious leader?
Q3) 6th March, 1961, saw the death of George Formby.   Which of his songs was banned by the BBC in 1936?
Q4) Which German city was captured by US forces: on 6th March, 1945?
Q5) Finally … The government of the UK banned the importation of domestic pets: on 6th March, 1970.   In order to stop the spread of what?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 5th March saw the release of one of the UK’s seminal computers: the ZX81.   In which year?
A1) 1981.
Q2) It was designed and released by which British company?
Q3) It was the successor to the ZX80.   And replaced by what … ?
A3) The ZX Spectrum.
Q4) It came with one kilobyte of RAM.   But could be expanded to how much: 16, 48 or 64K?
A4) 16K.
Q5) Finally … the thing used a very basic version of which programming language?
A5) BASIC.
Here’s a thought …
“We go where we need to go, then try to figure out what we’re doing there.”
Jeff Greenwald, born 6th March, 1954.
And a song … 


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day … 





*        Yeah, it went well, Olga‡.   It’s also a shame Chimichangas will be closing: I’m kind of fond of the place.   Actually, I had a Spectrum: a lot of coders, my age, did their first bits of coding on them and the ’81.   Their supposed to be the reason Britain’s got such a lot of coders, they all learnt at an early age!   (Medicine’s a good choice of career, though.   Mind you, knowing some coding would help: I keep thinking know how to write a macro would be useful … once I work out what one is …)

†        Yeah, I think I tinkered with a bit of BASIC coding, back in the day, myself, Debbi‡.   I THINK that’s where Rhianna — Terry’s daughter — got her interest in computers: Dad had one to programme on, indoors.   It’s ALSO why the gang that made the Raspberry Pi came up with the thing: it’s supposed to get kids interested in programming.   (Actually, Debbi, did I mention the Jupiter Ace?  It was made about the same time as the Spectrum, and used FOURTH.   How’s that for old computer languages?)

‡        Did I mention Mazogs?   It was one of THE games!

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Muhammad Ali
Q2) Elijah Muhammad
Q3) The Window Cleaner
Q4) Cologne
Q5) rabies
I did some very basic programming courses a while back, but unless you use it regularly... I hope your colleagues from work join in!

Hayley said...

Hi Paul, Yayyy, thanks for the shout out ☺️ you never mentioned Del lol.

You no these questions are way too hard for me but I know one answer and as you asked, i’ll give them a go.

Q1) Muhammed Ali
Q2) Allah
Q3) Erm, dunno who that is..
Q4) Luxembourg
Q5) Tuberculosis or mad cows disease. No, actually its rabies! (Which ever of the above is correct is my final answer).

Don’t laugh at my answers lol I tried! Have a nice day Paul, see you on Saturday.

Hayley x

Debbi said...

Wow! Bill probably would have loved all this computer stuff. That was his job. He handled the spam filtering for the Library of Congress. And wrote books about genealogy, including one about the ancestors of Princess Di, as I recall. I'll have to look it up!

1. Muhammad Ali
2. Elijah Muhammad
3. The Window Cleaner
4. Remagen (according to what I found, it was taken on 7 March, 1945: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1945_in_Germany#March)
5. rabies