Tuesday 10 July 2018

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 10th July, 2018

10th July, 2018.


Yes: I’m up early.

And yes: it’s for a doctors appointment.

In the wake of the CT scan I had, a couple of month ago.

I’m … well, there’s one or two bits I know, having had some of the results.

We’ll have to see what happens, won’t we?

~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 10th July is a 2014, Bollywood movie about forbidden love: made in India.   What language is it in?
Q2) Clement Attlee — the then Prime Minister — recommended a noted politician as the first Governor General of Pakistan.   Who was that politician?
Q3) The International Cricket Council re-admitted an international side: on 10th July, 1991.   Which international side?
Q4) Gangster, Jack Diamond, was born on 10th July, 1897.   What was his nickname?
Q5) Journalist, singer and songwriter, Neil Tennent was born on 10th July, 1954.   Which band did he front?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 9th July, 1877, saw the start of the first Wimbledon championship.   The club and tournament, are in which English City?
A1) London.
Q2) What sport’s being played?
A2) Tennis.
Q3) What surface is the Championship played on: clay, grass or concrete?
A3) Grass.
Q4) The game played at the championship is played by hitting a ball … with a what?
A4) Racquet.
Q5) Finally … ?   Wimbledon is famous for one sport.   But what other game is played at the club?
A5) Croquet.
Here’s a thought …
“I think there’s an element where people get very comfortable in their ghetto. Which is fair enough.”
Neil Tennent, born 10th July, 1954.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Best I can do on the Singing’ in the Rain front, Olga?   Is a BBC Worldwide has blocked this video in your county notice!   I wouldn’t mind … except I’m in the UK, the BBC’s home turf.   I’d expect to be able to watch a clip from a UK TV show!   Some of the Dr Who clips I’ve posted get the same response.   Yet almost identical ones posted on YouTube by BBC America?   Quite happily play!   (I keep thinking of International Rescue, whilst the Thai situation’s been happening: it’s the ‘other’ name for the Thunderbirds.   And keep thinking a real world equivalent would be handy!   The real-world International Rescue Committee is an organisation for refugees, so you know.)


†        My mum and my two sisters are all tennis fans, Debbi: apparently?   The strawberries are nice … but very expensive!   (OUTSIDE of that?   Took me a while to work out how tennis is basically played.   It’s still less confusing than cricket!)

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Bengali
Q2) Muhammad Ali Jinnah
Q3) South Africa
Q4) Legs Diamond
Q5) (Tennant, I think) Pet Shop Boys
Thanks for the information, Paul. I saw your comment to Debbi about cricket. Good grief! I've never so much as understood the scores. In most sports, even if I don't know how they are played, I understand (vaguely) what the scores mean, but in cricket... I was doing a locum once and one of the doctors working at the hospital (Indian, I seem to remember) tried to explain how it worked. Life is too short. One of the friends I petsit for is also a fan, but it doesn't seem worth the effort. Mind you, as is the case with golf, the lawn always looks gorgeous and in cricket people seem to enjoy the day out.

Debbi said...

I think the fact that "love" means no score is confusing as all get out! :)

1. Bengali
2. Muhammad Ali Jinnah
3. South Africa
4. Legs
5. the Pet Shop Boys