Saturday 21 July 2018

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 21st July, 2018

21st July, 2018.


Yep: I’m working, today.

And tomorrow, as well.

Yes, strong tea is definitely helping.

Yes, I really do want to go back to bed.

And yes: I’m looking forward to my next day off!

Oy, veh!

~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five. The day also saw Trevor saying Hello‡!

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 21st July, 2008, saw Ram Baran Yadav named as the first president of where … ?
Q2) More to the point, that country is mostly in which mountain range?
Q3) The first successful train robbery in the American Old West took place: on 21st July, 1973.   The gang that committed the robbery was led by whom?
Q4) The US congress ratified the North Atlantic Treaty on 21st July, 1949.   What organisation did the treaty found?
Q5) The first person to walk on the moon, did so on 21st July, 1969.   Who was he?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) Which martial artist died on 20th July, 1973?
A1) Bruce Lee.
Q2) 20th July, 1977, saw the CIA release papers about is MKULTRA mind control programme.   Which 2009 film was a satirical tale about MKULTRA?
Q3) 20th July is International Chess Day.   In chess, a pawn that reaches the opposite side of the board gets what?
A3) Promoted.
Q4) 20th July is the feast day of Saint Wilgefortis.   Wilgefortis is the patron saint of whom: bearded women, left handers or amputees?
Q5) 20th July, 1956, saw the birth of drummer, Paul Cook.   Which punk band was he a member of?
A5) The Sex Pistols.
Here’s a thought …
“Write me at the Hotel Quintana, Pamplona, Spain. Or don't you like to write letters. I do because it's such a swell way to keep from working and yet feel you've done something.”
Ernest Hemingway, July 21, 1899 – July 2, 1961.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.







*        You know, I wouldn’t know where to start, looking up the Spanish editions of Dr Who, Olga: although, apparently, some of the Tom Baker episodes aired in Spanish, Galician and Catalan.   If it’s any help … ?   (Oh, were you ever much of a Terry Pratchett fan?   Looks like Good Omens is hitting Amazon Prime in 2019 … At least they’ve handed out a year!)


†        You know, that’s a very good though, Debbi!   I wouldn’t know where to start, on the script front!   I know I found this, googling for ‘THX1138 script.’   They didn’t have 1984, though … !   (Oh, one for Rick: season 2 of Star Trek Discovery is due in January … and Spock’s in it … )


‡        Cheers, Trevor.   Have you thought about posting that to Wikipedia?   Usually the talk pages welcome this sort of thing.   (I’ve just had a look at the Metro’s Wikipedia entry: and realised I should have asked about European Metro stations, rather than World Metro stations!   Cheers, me dears!)

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Nepal
Q2) The Himalayas
Q3) 1873, you mean, I think. Jesse James (with the James-Younger gang)
Q4) The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO)
Q5) Neil Armstrong
Thanks, Paul. I remember some of the old ones from when I was a child, but judging by the collectables at a sci-fi bookshop I visited a while back, the modern ones are definitely popular here too. I saw your comment to Debbi. When I was doing my PhD I managed to get some unpublished scripts through ABE (Advanced Book Exchange). It does list a novel based on the movie script but haven't checked much else... (And perhaps you're talking about something else, but...)
https://www.abebooks.com/products/isbn/9780446646246?

Debbi said...

I'm also a big Star Trek fan. It's just a matter of paying extra. Ah, well.

I found that THX script, actually, but thanks! :)

1. Nepal
2. the Himalayas
3. Jesse James (in 1873)
4. NATO
5. Neil Armstrong