Sunday 9 February 2020

Doctor Who — Series 12: Episode 7 — Can You Hear Me? — A Review

9th February, 2020.


Right … 

JUST so you know?

My name’s Paul: and I live in the United Kingdom.

And?

Right at the moment, it’s 20:14 … 

And Storm Ciara is still … blowing.

To the point where the video I caught this morning is possibly seriously out of date.


It’s been breezy, in other words!

Breezy enough that the BBC transmitters went down this morning!

Personally … ?

I’m thankful that didn’t happen this evening!

~≈¥≈~

At any rate, I felt I should tell you two things.

For starters?

I’ve got Marley’s* Exodus album on in the background.


You have to put a classic on, sometimes, don’t you?

The other thing?

I’ve seen tonight’s episode of Doctor Who.

And I’m thinking Can You Hear Me? has quite an atmosphere!

~≈¥≈~


Episode 7Can You Hear Me? — opens in 14th Century Aleppo: introducing us to a panicked Tahira (Aruhan Galieva) desperately trying to persuade Maryam (Sirine Saba) to let her back into the hospital where’s Tahira’s been staying since her parents died.

Tahira … ?   Is being pursued by things … with claws … 

Meanwhile … ?

Meanwhile, the Doctor (Jodie Whittaker) is dropping off Ryan, Yasmin and Graham for some much needed shore leave: their travels mean the three have not seen friends and family for a while.

Graham (Bradley Walsh)?   Is playing poker with old friends, Gabriel and Fred (Everal A. Walsh and Michael Keane): until he is suddenly hit by a strange dream … or a woman, seemingly trapped and asking for his help.

Ryan (Toisin Cole)?   Ryan drops in on old friend, Tibo (Buom Tihngang) … and stays over … when Tibo starts having strange dreams that involve a strange old man.

Yas (Mandip Gill)?   Drops in on her much loved sister, Sonya (Bhavnisha Parmar) … so the pair can mark an anniversary … when Yas, herself, has a nightmare …of herself on a an isolated road on the Moors … 

Back in the TARDIS?   The Doctor manages to find the colliding planets that Graham saw: out in the back of the interstellar beyond: half a galaxy beyond the Gesken Straits.

The planets … and the base that’s monitoring the prison in-between them.

It’s only when the team explore the base?   That Yas, Ryan and Graham are captured … 

And the Doctor gets to meet Zellin (Ian Gelder†).

It seems Zellin … ?

Isn’t as human as he looks

And needs help to release and old friend … 

~≈¥≈~

Now … 

What on Earth did I make of Can You Hear Me? … ?

I have to say, loved it.

Granted, there’s possibly one or two flaws: the plot didn’t last for the duration of the complete episode.

But that did give writers, Charlene James and Chris Chibnall time to put in a scene near the end of the episode that shows us Ryan having doubts about travelling with the Doctor: but with Yas re-assuring him the pair are doing good things.

That’s possibly something that will pay out, near the end of the series: don’t quote me on that.

The companions, Ryan, Yas and Graham?   

Seemed underused.

And please let me stressed, only seemed: certainly in Yas and Graham’s case.

Ryan, I think is not getting as stretched as he could be.

I’m thinking Can You Hear Me?, is the Doctor’s episode.

Its given Jodie a chance to step out of the shadows: to stretch … and show us her Doctor doing stuff … rather than being completely encumbered.

Complain about not having the family around, yes … 

But being able to concentrate on action, rather than talk.

She certainly got a workout, I think.

~≈¥≈~

Can I ask you a question, here?

Have you read any of the Culture novels by the late Iain M. Banks?

I’ve read a few, over the years.

Frankly?

If you wanted honking great space opera, you could not go far wrong than by getting hold of a copy of Excession, Consider Phlebas, Look to Windward, what have you.

I don’t know how many other writers have managed to pull off the same tricks.

Extremely large technology, a society managed by god-like artificial intelligences, vast planets … 

In a setting that could run to the dark … and villains that could be equally overwhelming.

I think that’s what I’m seeing here.

Consciously or otherwise?

Zellin seems both menacing, and powerful: and potentially overwhelming.   Whilst his partner deity, Rakaya (Clare-Hope Ashitey) both powerful … and graceful … 

With both seeming threateningly alien, despite their human forms.

On top of that … ?

I found the tone of Can You Hear Me? both dark … and reminiscent of Banks at his finest.

I, frankly, loved it.

Can You Hear Me? is possibly one of the best episodes of Dr Who I’ve seen in a while … 








*        Personally?   I think 20th century only produced one hymn: Marley’s Redemption Song.   Yes: I know it’s on Uprising, rather than Exodus.   But the thing is spirituality with a back beat … and an acoustic guitar line so plaintive, it’s a prayer in and of itself.


†        Geldar played Mr Dekker in Torchwood: Children of Earth.

2 comments:

Olga said...

Hi, Paul. Lucky that the problem didn't happen until after you'd watched the series. My friend has come for the author/friend's funeral, that won't be until Tuesday, so I'm not sure when I'll be able to join in again (as I'm not sure when she'll be leaving), perhaps Wednesday, but I didn't want you to worry.
Be careful with the weather and keep safe.

Mike said...

An homage to Roald Dahl's BFG, written in full pantomime focus.
Seriously underwhelmed by the naivety