Saturday 15 February 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 15th February 2020.

15th February, 2020.


Yep: it’s true.

The UK’s going to be hit by Storm Dennis: from roughly twelve o’clock, today.



I’m not too worried about my part of the world.

But … ?

Two weekends like this is a touch worrying.

~≈†≈~

Just as a quick bit of technology news?

It seems Twitter have now come up with a plug to block … um … unwanted nudes.

Dick pics, in other words.

Well done, them: the amount of times I hear complaints about it, I’m surprised on one’s done it sooner.

~≈†≈~

Remember me mentioning — a few days ago — that there was a possibility I’d be getting a cheap laptop for my upcoming birthday?   And that I’d be putting Ubuntu on the thing?

By a weird coincidence, and old friend contacted me, last night.

Wanting the same thing.

If that goes ahead, we may have to dual boot the thing: the one game they do want to keep?

Is Windows only.

Which is a little bit inconsiderate of the game’s makers: but there you go.

Now … 

Has anyone seen my Ubuntu Budgie installer?

~≈†≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 15th February is National Flag of where day: Armenia, Bolivia or Canada?
Q2) The UK’s decimalised currency was released: on 15th February, 1971.   What’s the largest UK coin, currently in circulation?
Q3) 15th February is the feast day of Saint Sigfrid.   He’s Saint Sigfrid … of where?
Q4) 15th February is Susan B. Anthony Day.   In which US state: Florida, Illinois or Alaska?
Q5) 15th February, 1764, saw the foundation of the city of Saint Louis: in what was then Spanish Louisiana.   The city’s now in which US state?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 14th February is Saint Valentine’s Day.   Saint’s Valentine’s skull is in Basilica of Saint Maria in Cosmedin.   Saint Maria’s is in which Italian city?
A1) Rome.   Romantically?   It’s crowned with flowers.
Q2) The first Saint Valentine’s day was in which year: AD496, AD498 or AD499?
A2) AD496.
Q3) There’s a Saint Valentine’s Church in Rome: that was built in 1960.   For whom: visiting Jesuits, visiting Orthodox clergy or visiting Olympic athletes?
Q4) Alla hjärtans dagAll Hearts’ Day — is marked in which country?
A4) Sweden.
Q5) Finally … ?   Valentine, in Haute Garonne… ?   Is in which country?
A5) France.
Here’s a thought …
“Woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself.” Susan B Anthony, February 15, 1820 – March 13, 1906.
And an audio book: given it’s Sax Rohmer’s  birthday …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        I hope yours went well, Olga‡: I ended up talking about computers!   A friend wants hers re-vamped!

†        You’re not wrong, there, Debbi‡!   Have you managed to update to Catalina, as yet?

‡        Has anyone seem my copy of Nineteen-Eighty-Four?   It’s gone missing.

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Canada
Q2) 2 pounds
Q3) Sweden
Q4) Florida
Q5) Missouri
Good luck with the storm (they talked about it here yesterday as well) and with the computer. I have started getting notices because they will no longer update the version of Office I’m using (2010) from October. I saw this article (https://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-free-word-processor) and quite like the first two (especially the first. The rest would be useful for writing as such but not for the rest of the process) and wondered if you’ve tried any of them. I suspect I will probably have to get a new one, either Office 365 (but don’t fancy the thought that everything is connected to the Cloud or having to subscribe and pay every year, even with the support. I pay for enough things already) or Office 2019, because I’m likely to need it if I carry on working with other people’s documents, but considering how many people seem to still be using older versions of Office, I might be OK for a while.
I don’t use the Wordprocessor for too many fancy things, although the option for reviewing and correcting is useful for my kind of work.

Debbi said...

Not yet, but I keep meaning to. :)

1. Canada
2. 100 pounds
3. Sweden
4. Florida
5. Missouri