Monday 23 August 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 23rd August, 2021.

23rd August, 2021.


Right … I’ve an optician’s appointment, today: just to double check on something.

And I’ve got to pay bills.

As it’s payday.

Frankly?

I’m just hoping I’m able to juggle my time!

Without my legs aching!

~≈🦿≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor†, Mum‡ and Debbi^ putting in their answers: with everyone scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        23rd August is the feast day of Saint Rose of Lima.   Lima is the capital of which South American country?

Q2)        Gene Kelly was born on 23rd August, 1912.   In which 1980 film did he play Danny McGuire?

Q3)        William Wallace was executed on 23rd August, 1305.     He led an attempted rebellion in which country of the UK: England, Scotland or Wales?

Q4)        Nat Turner’s slave rebellion was suppressed: on 23rd August, 1831.   Where was that rebellion: Haiti, the USA or China?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Tire chains were patented on 23rd August, 1904. They’re supposed to help you drive a car through what: snow, water or lava?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        22nd August saw Jean Bastien-Thiry try to assassinate Charles de Gaulle.   In which year of the 1960s?
A1)        1962.

Q2)        De Gaulle was the then president of which European country: Germany, France or Spain?
A2)        France.   Here’s Wikipedia’s article on the French presidency

Q3)        The assassin made the attempt because de Gaulle supported the independence of where: Algeria, Morocco or Tunisia?
A3)        Algeria.

Q4)        Bastien-Thiry was executed for the attempt.   How: by guillotine, firing squad or hanging?
A4)        By firing squad. (He Was the last person to be executed)

Q5)        Finally … ?   Frederick Forsyth wrote a novel inspired by the attempt.   Called Day of the what
A5)        Day of the Jackal.   (The book opens with a depiction of the attempt: then shows a (fictional) second attempt.)
Here’s a thought …
“I told people I was a drummer before I even had a set, I was a mental drummer.”
Keith Moon, 23 August 1946 – 7 September 1978.
Never a truer word …

Here’s a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        From the Canaries?   The Canaries, Olga?!   You’d have to be pretty devout to walk from the Canaries, Olga, you really would!   At ANY rate … ?   Did you know Camino was an old open source web browser for the Mac?   Now I know the word translates as path — or possibly pilgrimage — the name seems very appropriate!
        I’ve just looked at Xavier’s Wikipedia page.   Five wives?   And the last was Charo?   I see what you mean about ‘ladies man.’   He sounds like quite the character!


        It was definitely noisy, Trevor.   I swear, one of those thunderclaps went off over my block of flats!
        1066, eh?   When the French invaded?   There’s possibly an Al Murray sketch or two.   At ANY rate, and from the little I learnt, over the years?   The Norman Conquest could have gone very differently, had Harold Godwinson not had to see off Harald Hardrada’s invasion.
        I’ll keep my eyes open for that train book … 

        Hello, Mum!

^        You’re not wrong, there, Debbi, history is … nasty … sometimes.   And you mentioning smallpox blankets gets me thinking of sieges.   In some sieges, the besiegers used trebuchets: large throwing arms.   Apparently, dead cows were popular ammunition: as were beehives.   You can possibly imagine, can’t you?
        Oh, dear … the Cold War …
        From what I recall, some US politicians told us they were defending the world from Communism … and spreading Freedom, and Democracy.   Unlike some supporters of the British Empire, back in the day, who’d tell you they were spreading Christianity and Civilisation …

4 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Peru

Q2) Cover Girl

Q3) Scotland

Q4) The USA

Q5) Snow
Yes, camino is path, road... I am not sure how it works from the Canary Islands (I do hope they don't walk)! because I never got to read the book, but if I meet the author again I'll ask her!
Xavier Cugat was definitely a character, and I'm sure you can find some videos of him as well.
Here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asF4OUyq7Y8
Oh, I know I had mentioned la Festa Major in Sants, the neighbourhood where I live, and the fact that the radio covered it live and had a special schedule. I went on Saturday and, if there are no changes (as they were waiting for some of the volunteers to confirm), I'm going to be there every morning this week, from tomorrow (on Saturday we organize an award ceremony, so although not at the radio, I'll be busy as well, and my cousin is coming home too, so it will be fun!) until Saturday, included, and I might go one or two afternoon-evenings as well (from 4 to 8 pm), so I don't know how much time I'll have left for anything these days. If you don't see me around, you can assume I've ended up having to spend more time than expected there, but we shall see. I will be helping at the studio in the morning (if there is a change, I might have to do that in the afternoon instead), and the idea would be that one or two days I'd go out with the mobile unit and cover some news or features and interviews live. Wish us luck!
Oh, and I hope you can manage to fit everything in this morning.

trev-v said...

A1 Peru
A2 Xanadu
A3 Scotland
A4 USA
A5 Snow and Ice.


History. I have lived through 70 years of it. I saw (on Television) the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II, the first episode of Doctor Who and man’s landing on the moon to name just a few instances.

I have also out lived a few major Literary dates such as 1984 and 2001.

Back to the Trains there is still one example of the LNER A3 class of locomotives steaming round the railways of Britain. It is locomotive number 60103 Flying Scotsman.

Freda said...

1 Peru
2 Singing in the Rain
3 Scotland
4 USA
5 Snow, by the way Tyre is spelt this way
4

Debbi said...

Yeah, someone's always spreading something, eh? :)

Here's a fact: I need to read way more Neil Gaiman.

Okay, it's an opinion, then.

And, Keith Moon was definitely a "mental drummer". :)

1. Peru
2. Cover Girl
3. Scotland
4. the USA
5. snow (wouldn't do well in lava, I don't think)