Monday 9 August 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 9-8-2021: Operation Demetrius

9th August, 2021.


A few days ago?

I mentioned the idea that earworms — songs that play their way through your head — could take the form of a word instead.

I had the word popty ping floating around my head.

Apparently, it’s the Welsh term for a microwave.

Sounds fun, doesn’t it?

Apparently, though?

Meicrodon is ALSO valid!

Argh!

~≈fl≈~

Oh: are you on a Mac?

One running macOS Big Sur 11.3 or sooner?

And not one of the M1 Macs?

Just in case you’re getting bored with your screensavers, you’ll find this article handy: it’ll leave you with an extra screensaver … 


~≈👋≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum†, Trevor‡ and Debbi^ and putting in their answers: with all four scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        Operation Demetrius was launched: on 9th August of which year of the 1970s?

Q2)        The Operation took place in which part of the UK: England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland?

Q3)        The Operation introduced Internment to the area.   In other words, Imprisonment without what: charges or release?

Q4)        The people interned, were interred in what was called the Long Kesh Detention Centre.   It later became known as HMP what: Maze, Wheat or Corn?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Operation Demetrius happened during what’s known the what: Troubles, Problems or Bothers?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        8th August, 2021, is Melon Day.   Where: Turkmenistan, Azerbaijan or Uzbekistan?
A1)        Turkmenistan. (Melon Day. Melon day. I know countries like to show off  … but Melon Day?)
Q2)        The Graf Zeppelin began a round-the-world flight: on 8th August, 1929.   Graf Zeppelin was a what: airship, submarine or cruise liner?
A2)        Airship.
Q3)        The London Charter was signed on 8th August, 1945: by France, the UK, the USSR and the USA.   The Charter established the rules for what: the Nuremberg Trials, football or the World Bank?
A3)        The Nuremberg Trials.
Q4)        8th August is the feast day of Saint Dominic.   He’s the patron saint of whom: mathematicians, astronomers or biologists?
A4)        Astronomers.   He is also the patron saint of Calabria: and you can sing about him …
Q5)        Finally … ?   Which American announced his resignation, on 8th August, 1974?
A5)        President Richard Nixon.
Here’s a thought … 
“The introduction of internment, the way the arrests were carried out, and the abuse of those arrested, led to mass protests and a sharp increase in violence.”
From the Wikipedia entry on Operation Demetrius.
And a song about the time …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        I think that’s always the way, Olga.   We go on holiday and … well, Terry Pratchett’s word about holidays in Bognor spring to mind;
        “Driving in the rain to get there, walking around in the rain looking for something to do when you’re there, and driving home in the rain again …
        Ancient family holidays in Cornwall come to mind, as well.   My two sisters and me, always had pac-a-macs packed.

        Hello, Mum!

        I remember similar — ish! — printers when I was at college, Trevor: great big clunky things, they were.   They were as noisy as my old electric typewriter.
        And, as I recall?   Gerry Anderson had a spin off company: that sold prop mainframes to TV and film companies.   Real ones being re-used that way, doesn’t surprised me.   I’m wondering what happens to second hand server farms!

^        I suspect, Debbiª, I’m not as tricky as Dicky.   Or as clevor as Trever.   I hope the files go down well: they’s ripped from the box set I got hold of.



ª        I think Dury’s Common as Muck might appeal, Debbi!

5 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1971

Q2) Northern Ireland

Q3) Wikipedia states “trial” rather than “charges”, although I guess from the way you phrase the question, it should be charges and both are options.

Q4) HMP Maze

Q5) Troubles
What things governments do in the name of peace and a quiet life, eh? Thanks for the song. I know what you mean about old holidays. Things hadn't changed very much there at all. Although, it seems there is optic fibre being installed around, although it hadn't reached the small hamlet yet, when I went. In any case, getting a connection for a few weeks wouldn't make much sense, although there are options that might have worked out. As we've sold the place now, I don't think we'll go too often, and if we do, we'll probably stay somewhere with more facilities and less tiresome for my mother. I also took a pack-mack [well, a modern equivalent] with me, but didn't get a chance to use it.
And, thanks for the song! I've always enjoyed but never paid much attention to the lyrics.

trev-v said...

A1 1971
A2 Northern Ireland
A3 charges
A4 Maze
A5 Troubles

The sound of those printers was like a bank of ground mounted machine guns being fired at the same time.

Penny’s late sister Patsy used to call that town RickyBilly.

Ah Ian Drury. Back in the 1980’s when I worked in Reigate one of the girls I worked with called me the living reincarnation of a living pop star (Ian Drury). I did not think I looked like him.

Freda said...

1 1971
2 Northern Ireland
3 without charges
4 Maze
5 the Troubles

Debbi said...

Ian's an appealing guy. To me, anyhow. Like his music, anyway. :)

1. 1971
2. Northern Ireland
3. charges
4. Maze
5. Troubles (not the Bothers? Course not!)

Debbi said...

Those raincoats remind me of what we wore in Venice!

I think Pratchett was onto something about vacations. :)

The files seem fine. I'm stunned at how much Patrick McGoohan's thinking resonates. What would he think of Facebook, I wonder. :) Or any of this!