Friday 6 October 2023

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 6th October 2023.

6th October, 2023.


Right … I am a man who’s officially — officially, mind — finished watching Good Omens second series.


Which means I’ve got a few Fridays free to watch a few other things: before I settle in, watching the Dr Who 60th Anniversary specials.

I might just have to catch a film.

We’ll have to see.

~≈¥≈~

Talking of which … ?

Writing the reviews of those could be a job and a half.

With the BBC not having released airing dates for those specials, I’m wondering about how they’ll be aired.

Once a week, up until the 23rd: or daily, in the manner of Torchwood: Children of Earth.

Which will probably be wonderful to watch … but a lot of late nights if you’re a reviewer!

~≈¥≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Mum* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with Debbi scoring four out of five, and Mum on four.


Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.


Q1)        The first pope to visit the White House did so on 6th October, 1979.   Which Pope was it: John Paul 1st, John Paul 2nd or Benedict 16th?

Q2)        More to the point, which president did the Pope visit: Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter or Ronald Reagan?

Q3)        Fiji became a republic on 6th October.   6th October of which year of the 1980s?

Q4)        51 Pegasi b was discovered on 6th October, 1995.   It’s a planet, where: inside the solar system, or outside the solar system?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Olivia Thirlby was born on 6th October, 1986.   She plays Judge Cassandra Anderson, in which 2012 film: Being Flynn, Chronicle or Dredd?

Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 


Q1)        5th October is World Teacher’s Day.   It’s organised by which United Nations agency: UNESCO, UNIDO or the UPU?
A1)        UNESCO.

Q2)        The first fighter plane to shoot down another aircraft, did so on 5th October, 1914.   The downed plane was German.   The plane that shot it was from where: the UK, France or Belgium?
A2)        France.

Q3)        5th October, 1947, saw President Truman make the first televised what: State of the Union address, Oval Office Address or King’s Speech?
A3)        Oval Office Address.

Q4)        Ray Kroc was born on 5th October, 1902.   He’s credited with making which restaurant, successful: Pizza Hut, McDonald’s or KFC?
A4)        McDonald’s.

Q5)        Finally … ?   Donald Pleasence was born on 5th October, 1919.   Which James Bond villain did he play in You Only Live Twice?
A5)        Ernst Stavro Blofeld.

Here’s a thought … 

“It doesn’t matter if I am the most beautiful person in the room.   There is inevitably going to be somebody way shinier and more tan than my pasty self.”
Olivia Thirlby, born October 6, 1986.

And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.




*        Hello, Mum!

†        Remind me to show you that episode of Blackadder, Debbi!

4 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) John Paul 2nd

Q2) Jimmy Carter

Q3) 1987

Q4) outside the solar system

Q5) Dredd
Sorry, Paul. Yesterday I didn't catch up the teaser. I had signed up for a study of cardiac function for women a couple of years ago (a free study), and I was due to go in July but it was changed to yesterday at short notice. It was a bit far from here (in Barcelona, but close to where Jordi lives), and there were a lot of tests, so I spent quite a few hours there. I had planned to try and get through the teaser before I left, but the post hadn't been published yet, and by the time I ate I had to go out again...
It all went quite well, apart from some extra beats, which are most likely benign (and very common) but the doctor advised me to let my GP know and see if they want to test further. (I've never met my GP since I came here as I haven't had a reason to visit, and some of the check-ups and vaccines are booked without her intervention). We shall see.

Freda said...

1 John Paul 2nd
2 Jimmy Carter
3 1970
4 Inside
5 Dredd

trev-v said...

I sugest rechecking the answers to Question 2 and resetting the scores.

Oh by the way I am having a lucky month. At the begining of the month i won £100 in the monthly Premium Bond draw and this last week-end i won £10 in the Postcode Lottery. I need to win big on the main Lottery. Keep getting free lucky dip tickets but hardley ever any real money.

Debbi said...

Will check that out after I leave the answers. :)

1. John Paul 2nd
2. Jimmy Carter
3. 1987 (I graduated law school that year ... jeez!)
4. outside the solar system (at least, our solar system)
5. Dredd

Hey! I'm working on a pilot script in which I have an archivist character with a slight British accent and a walrus mustache. I named him Trevor. It just seemed to fit. :) He lived in Britain as a child, but moved the States. And he's a font of knowledge.

BTW, that Terry Pratchett book that's just coming out is absolutely brilliant! Great stuff!