Wednesday 12 November 2008

Street Cred.



I must confess I’ve a couple of old friends –Graham and Adrian*– lurking around the net, somewhere. We have, as friends do, over the years, argued, discussed and poked fun at each other’s musical tastes. So the aboves a little something to try and desperately prove my cred. Saying that, Loves Shack, their one big UK hit was produced by Don and David Was.

THAT Don and David Was. And, as you’ve probably guessed by now …



And Kirsty MacColl was always pretty much guaranteed to release something that would catch your attention.


*Adrian thinks the world of Doctor Feelgood and The Killing Joke; – that’s the poppier end of his range. Graham tends to think anything played by John Peel is axiomatically A Good Thing. And I know I’ll get comments, there, bless ’em!

4 comments:

Grub said...

ooh, this is a tricky one. B52's were very kitch, deliberately so, but great fun. Hmmm, can't tyhink of a proper criticism, well played. McColl, mixed feelings too, associated with the Pogues like the atomic age is associated with Einstein. Good or evil depends on your viewpoint! I cannot criticise a woman who died saving her childrens lives, so....

Did you know the Zang Tumb Tuum label has released a box set. I know you like FGTH and AoN. You may find some previously unreleased stuff available.

Nik Nak said...

Hmmm, no I didn’t. I’ll have to check that out; – I might just be able to complete me 12” inch Frankie collection.

Which sounds ambiguous, now I say it …

And you’ve not seen my severe cheese playlist, have you?

Anonymous said...

I love Kirsty. Such a tragedy that she's no longer with us. I've got ALL her CDs if you want me to copy some for you.

I've also got a FGTH double remix CD, but it's all new remixes (well, from 2000, so they're not new now). You can borrow it if you want. It's this: http://www.discogs.com/release/27034

Nik Nak said...

Oh, ta, James, mite have to at that!!!

But your both right, Kirsty MacColl’s death was a screaming tragedy!