Tuesday 8 September 2009

The President, The Alcohol Ban, And the iMac

Oh …

Okaaaaaay …

Right-ho, President Nicholas Sarkozy’s touchy about his height …

Hmmm …

Now, speaking as someone who’s 5’ 2”, I’m feeling a bit mixed about this.

After all, if he’s that sensitive about his height, why on Earth go into politics in the first place? It is, from where I’m sitting, mildly hypocritical.

And faintly ridiculous.

Or annoying, at least …

At least, annoying to me …

•••••

At any rate, another piece of news that caught my eye were calls by the British Medical Association to ban alcohol advertising.

Hmmm …

There’s a bit of a tough one.

Now, I’ve got to confess, I’ve worked in the licensed trade for some fourteen or so years.

And actually gave up drinking some seven years ago.

For various reasons I’d rather not go into.

So news like this always catches my eye.

Whilst leaving me in a very thoughtful mood.

On the one hand, I know, from both a personal and work perspective, that alcohol does damage. And that anything that helps reduce this is therefore a good thing.

But …

Oh, boy!

I’m also very aware of the damage that was done by the smoking ban. Whilst I grant it’s encouraged many to pack smoking, I also know from my own personal experience that at least one pub lost income, and been forced to close.

So I’m very worried that these calls will have serious implications for the licensed trade.

Serious implications.

From the few figures I’ve seen, I’m aware that smoking hasn’t decreased, over the years of the smoking ban, and the ban on tobacco advertising.

It’s also seen a rise in the use of various types of illegal substance; which is possibly a whole other issue, maybe.

But here’s what I’m trying to get at, though.

I’m thinking that an advertising ban will be counter-productive, especially for those of us with-in the industry.

But I’m also very aware that the industry itself could well be contributing more to things like rehabilitation charities and centres.

•••••

Right, now, lets change direction, shall we?

Shall we?

Oh, good lord, yes!

Phew!

Just as something of an update to the iMac situation, I do know I’ve manage to get hold of a free copy of Coral Word Perfect.

As you’d possibly noticed!

It’s something I’m intent on toying with, I know that.

I’m also fairly aware that none of the software I’ve found for Mac OS 9.2.2 can export directly to .pdf format.

In theory, if I had a printer that worked with it, it would do it straight from the print menu, as per usual with any version of Mac OS, or Mac OS X.

Getting hold of that printer … !

But at least in theory, I could save it as html …

Now, there’s an idea …

No comments: