Tuesday 3 November 2009

Anywhere you go …

Well … after the last time Tim and Adele were over, I couldn’t resist the reference

I couldn’t!

But either way, I think we’ve solved Tim’s CPU throttling problem.

Mostly by a mix of using a published hack that works on both Jaunty Jackalope and Karmic Koala.

And by Tim — ever the practical one — doing a little research, and finding that he could both Hoover out the vents on his laptop, and angle the back, by putting a book or door-wedge under the back edge of his machine.

Which sounds strange, but it really does help to boost the airflow past the batteries; something that can get rather heated, if badly designed.

•••••

Just so you know, Adele, I know the name laptop implies it can go on a lap, but that’s not the best place; a flat, even surface is best, as it helps keep it cool, by keeping the airflow going. A table or wooden chair’s best.

Rather than, say, in bed with you … !

•••••

Actually, that hoovering idea isn’t too bad, I’ll probably have to give the Mini a going over; I know I had to give the long since gone G4 the occasional emptying …

(I know I did a friend a favour, actually, yesterday, looking at an old G5 he needed checking out. I’m just disappointed I wasn’t able to help more. But I can see what Adrian means about the rather fierce cooling systems on them. The G5 chip was mostly ok, but boy, did it need some cooling; partly, I think, the reason why Apple made the switch to Intel processors … )

•••••

But I’m now thinking we have a functioning laptop; now all I’ve got to do is sort out Allison’s printer problem.

Does anyone know where to get Debian printer drivers for a Canon all-in-one … ?


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~takushi/#canon

Tim said...

once again mr downie came to the rescue in true style.
i upgraded to umpefump 9.10 on thursday and then started having problems with my lap top shutting itself down as and when it wanted..... very annoying.

it flashed up a messeage about temperature and cpu throttling.
i thought oh dear its had its day with this one but pj came to the rescue.
it had somthing to do with the cpu slowing down when not being used to much and as pj explained in a more usuall language to me its like a car at traffic lights on idle.

he sent me a link on how to correct it but in my usual style i chickened out and went to see him. it is annoying when i get there and he just clicks away and 5 mins later its done i think to myself i could of done that but better to b safe than sorry....

the new fumpy is amazing by the way especially the software centre bit it is so easy to use and find whatever you need and download any extras you need.

Thanks paul

Nik Nak said...

Hmmm … that’s a thoughtful list, thank you for that …

But it’s got no help for Canon Pixus MP140 series all-in-ones running under Karmic Koala; have you any idea’s? I’ve put a quickie post, here, but …