Friday 2 July 2010

The Comantra Scam

You know, I’ve just been nattering to Kelly the Charmer, on Facebook, who’s confessed she had something of a worrying call …

From a company called Comantra, who say they are a Microsoft Certified Gold Partner.

Who’d ‘detected’ that her machine was running a touch on the slow side, and could give her a hand getting rid of any unwanted nasties on her version of Windoze …

On top of being a great singer and a competent musician, Kelly’s a bright woman.

And one with a nose for dead fish, bad eggs, and rats.

And flagged it up on Facebook, to see what she could dig up.

She’s also just told me that the actual call from this chap had a lot of interference for a call that — supposedly — originated in Bradford, and also stressed that the chap on the other end of the line got rather annoyed when she wouldn’t actually do anything, ’til she’d checked everything out.

Kelly’s a bright woman.

Kelly politely took the offered freephone number, and told him she’d call once she’d checked everything out: which, as I think I mentioned, she did by mentioning the call on Facebook, to see what she could see, and by Googling for any sort of information.

Looks like there’s a lot of that, for a company based in Bengal. None of it flattering.

»»»·«««

Now, I’m none too sure who’s you’d have to report this sort of thing to if you get a call from Comantra.

But from what Kelly’s told me … ?

It’s a scam.

And a great big smelly scam, at that …

»»»·«««

3 comments:

Richie said...

I know they're not in UK, but I'd contact Trading Standards to see if they can point out the right place to contact.
Other people online have suggested reporting to the police, telling Watchdog or complaining to Microsoft. If enough people make a fuss perhaps some official warnings will be given.

Nik Nak said...

Cheers, Ritchie!

I know I’ve already contacted Watchdog, but I can pass that on to Kelly.

Karen Chilvers said...

Hello. This used to be my line of work when I worked for the Office of Fair trading. Watchdog don't give advice, they just carry the big stories. I hope you will find this useful: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Consumerrights/Protectyourselffromscams/DG_195960

Action Fraud is the place to report this sort of thing.

Karen Chilvers