Saturday 26 March 2011

*Eraserhead*: Blood, Guts, and the Insides of David Lynch’s head …

You know, I think I’m going to be quick, with this.

Possibly.

But I know I’ve been meaning to tell you about Thursday night.

Which I’ve got to admit, I had to myself.

Having nothing else to do, I just had to watch the copy of David Lynch film, Eraserhead, that I’ve had sitting around for a while: and that I know Movie Night Adrian and Kevin D weren’t necessarily keen on seeing.

I think I can appreciate that: but at 89 minutes … ?

I also think they’ve missed a treat …

~≈Â≈~

The film follows the life of Henry Spenser, a vacationing printer who — after having a very strange dinner with the in-laws — finds his long-term girlfriend, Mary X is pregnant.


With a very strange child, indeed.

Here’s the Wikipedia entry.

I think it sums up Eraserhead better than I could … !

»»•««

Now, I’m thinking that Lynch is …

Well, I don’t know if genius is the right word, here.

I do know that, having seen some of his films, I’ve always come away impressed: with Eraserhead, as much as The Elephant Man, Wild At Heart and Dune.

What I’ve seen of his films does convince me this is a director who produces some beautifully visual looking movies.

But I know there’s one thing I’ll ask you know. Lynch has called this his “most spiritual movie”: indeed, in the Wikipedia entry, says he read one particular verse of the Bible, and “… I saw the thing as a whole. And it fulfilled this vision for me, 100 percent.”

I’m wondering if that verse was from Revelations, I really am: with the baby as the Anti-Christ, the Beautiful Women Across the Hall as The Whore of Babylon, and Henry as the 144000 chosen that get raptured away to Heaven at the end of it all.

I’m not religious, I should add.

I’m just bloody curious.

Leave me a comment, folks!

I’ll leave you with this …

2 comments:

Debbi said...

Thanks for posting these! I love David Lynch. Someday I have to see this movie. Doesn't look too much scarier than Blue Velvet or Mulholland Drive. *shiver*

Nik Nak said...

Ooh, I don’t know about scary, Debbi.

But it’s certainly one to watch … !