Monday 19 September 2011

The Talk Like A Pirate Day Teaser — 19-9-11


Hmmmm …

Well, that seems to drop the hint, doesn’t … ?

Did you know that today is International Talk Like A Pirate Day … ?

I did.

Have done for a while, actually.

Although I’m blowed if I know why the two chaps that started it, did so.

But I’ve always had the impression it’s got something to do with the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

But don’t quote me: I’m not actually a pastafarian.

Let’s get moving on, shall we … ?

»»·««

Yesterday’s Teaser saw both Nina and a welcomed back Debbi putting in their answers: it saw Nina bagging 5 out of 5, and Debbi bagging 4: must have been a heck of a conference, Debbi, I’ll be keeping me eyes open for a post!

Lets see how they — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we … ? Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1) 19th September is, obviously, International Talk Like A Pirate Day: which Essex town is hosting a International Talk Like A Pirate Day event?

Q2) Which notorious pirate once said “Damn ye, yellow-bellied sapsuckers, I’m a better man than all of ye milksops put together” … ?

Q3) Which actor is described as the patron saint of International Talk Like A Pirate Day?

Q4) Which Richard Curtis penned film was loosely based on the shipboard pirate radio stations of the 1960s?

Q5) The Orlando Pirates FC are based in which country … ?

Q6) Which notorious Swedish website allows for a LOT of online piracy?

Q7) And finally … Which English naval figure was considered a pirate by Spain: and also known as El Draque?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 18th September, 1928, saw Juan de la Cierva make the first crossing of the English Channel … by WHAT … ?
A1) Autogyro.

Q2) 18th September, 2009, saw the last episode of the world’s longest running soap opera broadcast: what was it called … ?
A2) Guiding Light.

Q3) 18th September, 1970, saw the death of guitarist, Jimi Hendrix: what was the name of the last album he released in the UK … during his lifetime?
A3) Band Of Gypsies.

Q4) 18th September, 1809, saw the opening of WHICH arty building in London … ?
A4) The Royal Opera House.

Q5) And FINALLY … 18th September, 324AD, saw who gain sole control of the Roman Empire, after winning the Battle of Chrysopolis.
A5) Emperor Constantine.
Enjoy those, everyone: I’ll catch you later …

After I’ll left you with a tune …

2 comments:

Nina, the Wonder-Wench said...

1) Southend
2) Blackbeard
3) Robert Newton
4) The Boat that Rocked
5) South Africa
6) Pirate Bay
7) Sir Francis Drake

In honour of this day, a movie quote: "I brim with charity. I am charity's very soul. And because I am so charitable, I will maroon you on a rock the size of this table, instead of splattering your brains across my bulkhead... as you deserve."

Debbi said...

Hey, Paul! It was quite a conference. The fact that I'm writing more than one post about it should tell you something. :)

1. Southend-on-Sea
2. Blackbeard
3. Robert Newton
4. The Boat that Rocked
5. South Africa
6. The Pirate Bay
7. Sir Francis Drake