Wednesday 22 August 2012

BBC News - Right-to-die man Tony Nicklinson dead

The Late Tony Nicklinson

Oh … 

Now that’s sad …

You’re probably aware that I’ve been keeping an eye on various people’s campaigns on the right to die, over the years: or Assisted Death, as Terry Pratchett has called it.

I have to admit, it’s something I still feel ambiguous about: but I’d been following Mr Nicklinson’s efforts to arrange a High Court ruling to have a doctor help him to die.

One that, only a short while ago, failed.

Something I felt vaguely saddened about: but felt could, with a touch more work, could be remedied.

Saying that … ?

Saying that, I was renewing a book, today, at Brentwood Library.   And, using their computers to check on my Twitter account, I saw this tweet from Channel Four’s news service …
That grabbed my attention, obviously.

And saddened me, as well.

Tony Nicklinson, much like Winnie Johnson a few days ago, died without being able to finish his fight.

And that’s as much of a tragedy as anything else.

No comments: