Monday, 27 August 2012

The Daily Teaser — 27-08-2012

I think it’s officially official: I hate migraines, I really do … !

On top of a rough one on Friday, I had one, yesterday, as well.

That’s the last time I’m eating cheese, I know that.

On a frank note, though … ?   I know everyone’s different, but I always seem to get them, in the summer: when there’s a lot of thunderclouds overhead.

I think it’s the way the light’s affected.

Either way … ?

Not nice … !

Let’s get moving on, shall we?   I know people are gagging for their scores … 

»»·««

Yesterday’s Teaser saw both Tim and Debbi putting in their answers.   With Debbi*, admitting she’d had a great day, bar dropping the proverbial ball, the day before yesterday, it saw her bagging 7 out of 7, and Tim bagging 4º.

Let’s see how they — and you — do with today’s Teaser, shall we?   Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 27th August, 1883, saw which volcano begin erupting … ?
Q2) More to the point, what was the name of the 1969 film about this eruption … ?
Q3) 27th August, 1928, saw the signing of the Kellogg-Briand Pact: what did this outlaw: the illegal drug trade, war or arms dealing?
Q4) 27th August, 1962, saw the launch of the Mariner 2 probe: by which space agency … ?
Q5) More to the point, where was that probe heading … ?
Q6) And finally … 27th August, 1967, saw the death of Beatles manager, Brian Epstein: who was the only female artist he managed … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 26th August, 1978, saw Cardinal Albino Luciano elected pope: what papal name did he assume … ?
A1) Pope John Paul 2nd.
Q2) More to the point, what was the name of the David Yallop book about his death … ?
A2) In God’s Name.
Q3) 26th August, 1975, saw peace-talks break down: peace talks between the government of Rhodesia, and whom … ?
A3) The ANC.
Q4) 26th August, 2011, saw Boeing’s new plane receive its certification: what plane is that … ?
A4) The 787 Dreamliner.
Q5) 26th August, 1676, saw the birth of Britain’s first Prime Minister: what was his name … ?
A5) Sir Robert Walpole.
Q6) More to the point, what’s the Prime Minister’s formal title … ?
A6) First Lord of the Treasury.
Q7) And finally … 26th August, 1938, saw the birth of drummer, Jet Black: with which English band does he play … ?
A7) The Stranglers.
Enjoy those, everyone: I’ll catch you later.   After I’ve left you with this quote from Don Bradman …
“The game of cricket existed long before I was born. It will be played centuries after my demise. During my career I was privileged to give the public my interpretation of its character in the same way that a pianist might interpret the works of Beethoven”
Don Bradman 27 August 1908 – 25 February 2001
And this tune from Captain and Tenielle: as it’s the Cap’s birthday.


Now, if you’ll excuse me?   I’m getting out of Essex, as there seems to be a lion on the loose … 

























*        Well, I think THAT score’s a definite improvement, Debbi … !   I think you can give yourself a celebratory pat on the back … !

º        Hang on, there, Tim … First Lord of where … ?   Shame on you, sir … ! :D

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Paul! :)

    Thank heavens! ROFL

    1. Krakatoa
    2. Krakatoa: East of Java
    3. war (that worked well, didn't it? -- ha ha ha ...)
    4. NASA
    5. Venus
    6. Cilla Black

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.