Wednesday, 12 September 2012

The Daily Teaser — 12-09-2012

Hmmm …

You know, it’s times like this that I could really do with a big lottery win.

I’m starting to think I definitely could do with the cash to gently retire Bruce to a nice quiet spot by the proverbial fireplace — or TV, in this case — or replace Safari with something else.

It’s starting to get rather frustratingly slow … !

Annoyingly so, in fact … !

Let’s get moving on, shall we?   As I’m annoyed enough to not have a chance to mention the Hillsborough papers, due to be released, today.

‹‹·››

Moving on from my troubles, yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi putting in her answers: and, along with commenting that A Town Called Mercy looks fun*, also bagging 6 out of 6.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?   Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 12th September, 2001, saw President George Bush declare a war on … what … ?
Q2) 12th September, 1846, saw Elizabeth Barrett elope with Robert Browning: in which European country did the two poets live much of their married life … ?
Q3) More to the point, in which town did they initially live … ?
Q4) 12th September, 1910, saw the premiere of the last of Gustav Mahler’s symphonies to be premiered during his lifetime.   Which symphony was it … ?
Q5) 12th September, 1977, saw the death of which activist … ?
Q6) And finally … 12th September, 2003, saw the death of legend, Johnny Cash: what was the name of the last UK Top Forty single he released, while he was still alive?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 11th September, 2001, saw the notorious al-Qaeda attacks on New York: what does al-Qaeda translate into English as?
A1) The Base.
Q2) More to the point, al-Qaeda’s leader, Osama bin Laden, was in which country, when finally killed by US special forces … ?
A2) Pakistan.
Q3) Moving on … 11th September, 1565, saw Ottoman forces retreat from which island, at the end of a siege: Malta, Gibraltar or Sicily … ?
A3) Malta.
Q4) 11th September, 2005, saw Israeli troops finally pull out of which contested area … ?
A4) The Gaza Strip.
Q5) 11th September, 1919, saw US troops invade which Central American republic?
A5) Honduras: which was also known as Spanish Honduras.
Q6) And finally … 11th September, 1847, saw the first performance of which American song … ?
A6) Oh! Susannah.
Enjoy those, everyone: as today is the birthday of the man, himself, I’ll leave you with THIS song from a certain Mr B. White … 


And this quote from Herbert Asquith …
“The army will hear nothing of politics from me and in return I expect to hear nothing of politics from the army.”
H. H. Asquith, 12 September 1852 – 15 February 1928




























*        I should say so, Debbi: I mean, a steampunk western … ?   With a cyborg … ?   How cool is THAT … ?

1 comment:

  1. Very cool, indeed! :)

    1. the Taliban (the "war on terror" wasn't declared officially until later)
    2. Florence
    3. London
    4. The Eighth Symphony
    5. Stephen Bantu Biko
    6. A Boy Named Sue

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.