Wednesday, 19 September 2012

The Talk Like A Pirate Day — 19-09-2012

AHHHHAAAAAAAAAA … !

AHOY, THERE, YE DECK-SWABBING LANDLUBBERS … !

Yes, that’s QUITE enough, there, I think … 

But today is International Talk Like A Pirate Day, which means — obviously — that opening with the odd phrase seemed appropriate.

Along with confessing I’ve thought of at least three more questions, since I actually wrote today’s Teaser.

Isn’t that ALWAYS the way … ?

At any rate, let’s get moving on, shall we?

Whilst encouraging each other to shock people, by getting as suddenly piratical as possible* … 

~~~~~

Yesterday’s teaser saw no-one putting in their answersº.

So let’s see who we can persuade to try today’s piratical questions, shall we?   Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) In the Pirates Of The Caribbean films, Captain Jack Sparrow is played by Johnny Depp.   Name either of the two series that feature Captain Jack Harkness … 
Q2) Who played Captain Jack, in those series … ?
Q3) Moving on … what was the real name of pirate, Calico Jack … ?
Q4) More to the point, who was Calico Jack’s famed lover … ?
Q5) Even more to the point, which iconic piratical item is Calico Jack supposed to have designed … ?
Q6) What name is given to the letters used to hire a privateer … ?
Q7) Notorious privateer, El Draque was better known how … ?
Q8) And finally … which Strait — near the South China Sea — sees a lot of modern day piracy … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 18th September, 1961, saw the death — in a plane crash — of Dag Hammarskjöld: which body was he the General Secretary of … ?   A1) The United Nations.
Q2) More to the point, Hammarskjöld was involved in peace talks in a civil war in which African country …    A2) The Democratic Republic of the Congo.
Q3) Moving on … 9 years later, 18th September, 1970, saw the death of rock legend, Jimi Hendrix: what was the name of his band’s first UK hit album … ?   A3) Are You Experienced.
Q4) More to the point, what was the name of the last album Hendrix completed, during his lifetime … ?   A4) Band of Gypsies.
Q5) Moving on … 18th September, 1739, saw the signing of the Treaty of Belgrade: which ceded Belgrade to which empire … ?   A5) The Ottoman Empire.
Q6) 18th September, 1851, saw the first publication of The New York Times: under what name … ?   A6) The New York Daily Times.
Q7) And finally … 18th September, 1972, saw refugees from where start to arrive in the UK … ?   A7) Uganda.
Enjoy those, everyone: I’ll leave you with this little tune from Captain Jack Sparrow … 


And this one from Adam and the Ants … 


Oh … and a bit of a folk tune …


And also leave you with this quote from Captain Kidd …
“My Lord, it is a very hard sentence. For my part, I am the innocentest person of them all, only I have been sworn against by perjured persons.”
Captain William Kidd, 1654-1701



















*        On a more serious note, I’m also going to encourage people to check out this piece on the BBC’s news site: it seems there’s a newly discovered exploitable hole in Internet Explorer 9 — and earlier — that is as yet, unpatched.   Be warned.   (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19636382)

º        We ok, there, Debbi … ?   I hope so!   I’m going to keep my fingers crossed …

1 comment:

  1. Hey there! :) Hope this comes through okay.

    1. Torchwood and Doctor Who
    2. John Barrowman
    3. John Rackham
    4. Anne Bonny
    5. the skull-and-crossbones design of the Jolly Roger Flag
    6. letters of marque
    7. Sir Francis Drake
    8. the Strait of Malacca

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.