Friday, 14 September 2012

The Daily Teaser — 14-09-2012

Well, it looks like I’ve got me work cut out for me.

I’ve officially volunteered to see what I can do with my kid sister’s laptop.

Wouldn’t you know it … ?

Her copy of McAfee’s security suite seems to have had an update that keeps it safe … by refusing to let it connect to the ’Net.

You can imagine my reaction, can’t you … ?

But at any rate … ?

At any rate, it means I’ve something to do this weekend … !

Let’s get moving on, shall we?

Yes, let’s

~~~~~

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi putting in her answers.   Along with telling us she like the classierº end of the musical scale, she also bagged 5½ out of 6*.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 14th September, 1917, saw which country declare itself a republic … ?
Q2) 14th September, 1752, saw the British Empire adopt the Gregorian Calendar: how many days did they skip, in that shift … ?
Q3) 14th September, 2000, saw Microsoft release which version of their Windows operating system?
Q4) 14th September, 1960, saw Mobutu Sese Seko gain power in a military coup: in which African country … ?
Q5) And finally … 14th September, 1944, saw which town become the first Dutch city to be liberated in World War 2?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) In non-leap years, 13th September is the 256th day of the year: how is 256 shown in binary … ?
A1) 100000000.
Q2) 13th September, 1994, saw the Ulysses probe pass the south pole of what … ?
A2) The Sun.
Q3) More to the point, Ulysses is the Latin translation of the name of which Greek hero … ?
A3) Odysseus.
Q4) Moving on … 13th September, 1788, saw which city become the temporary capital of the USA?
A4) New York.
Q5) 13th September, 1953, saw Nikita Khrushchev elected as General Secretary of the USSR: what was his full title … ?
A5) First Secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union.   (You can see why they gave it up, in the end … )
Q6) And finally … which New York prison was stormed by National Guardsmen, in order to end a prison riot, on 13th September, 1971?
A6) Attica.
Enjoy those, everyone: I’ll catch you later.

After I’ve left you with this tune from a~Haª … 


And this quote from Hal Wallis …
“In the old days we had the time and money to give prospective stars a slow build up. Today, an actor makes it fast or he doesn't make it at all.”
Hal B Wallis September 14, 1898 – October 5, 1986























*        It wasn’t the whole title, Debbi: but I thought it was worth a ½ point, if nothing else.

º        I’ll keep that in mind, Debbi.   Saying that … ?   Some of Schœnberg’s 12-tone stuff is … well … definitely an acquired taste … 


ª        Well, it IS Morten Harket’s birthday … 

1 comment:

  1. No worries, Paul! :) That song is an oldie, but a goodie.

    1. Russia
    2. 11
    3. Windows Me
    4. Zaire
    5. Maastricht

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.