Thursday, 28 March 2013

The Daily Teaser — 28-3-2013: All Out Meltdown … !

You know, I have a documentary on, from last night: Terry Pratchett’s Facing Extinction, about the Orang Utans of Borneo.

Something he’d checked out some 18 years ago: as a result of writing about the Discworld’s Librarian character.

I have to admit, my respect for the man has just gone up: Sir Terry’s got a form of Alzheimer’s that mean he’s still fairly sharp, but get’s visually disoriented easily.   And he’s in a jungle, doing a documentary on an endangered species … !

Phew … !

Let’s get moving on, shall we?

Yes, let’s … 

≤≤•≥≥

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: along with admitting she hates passwords, she ALSO managed to bag six out of six.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s Three Mile Island questions, shall we … ?   Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 28th March saw the start of the meltdown at the Three Mile Island Nuclear Power Plant.   In which year of the 1970s … ?
Q2) In which state is Three Mile Island … ?
Q3) What was the name of the 1979 film about a nuclear meltdown … ?
Q4) 1986 saw a similar accident take place at a reactor: at which Ukrainian power plant … ?
Q5) And finally … the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster occurred after a tsunami and earthquake: in which country … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 27 March, 2004, saw the sinking of the decommissioned HMS Scylla: so she could be used as an artificial … what … ?
A1) Reef.
Q2) 27th March, 1958, saw Nikita Khrushchev named as leader of Soviet Russia.   Who did he denounce in a secret speech in 1956 … ?
A2) Joseph Stalin.
Q3) 27th March, 1963, saw the birth of director, Quentin Tarantino.   Which 1990s film provided him with his first commercial success … ?
A3) Reservoir Dogs.
Q4) 27th March saw Geronimo surrender to the US Army.   In  which year of the 1880s … ?
A4) 1886.
Q5) More to the point, the Apache version of his name translates as ‘One Who … ’ what … ?
A5) Yawns.
Q6) And finally … 27th March, 1989, saw which country hold a general election … ?
A6) The USSR.
I’ll leave you with this appropriate quote from Terry Pratchett …
“I once absent-mindedly ordered Three Mile Island dressing in a restaurant and, with great presence of mind, they brought Thousand Island Dressing and a bottle of chili sauce”
Terry Pratchettº.
And an equally appropriate tune from AC/DC …


Enjoy the day … 







*        I can go with that, Debbi!   It’s a shame, in a way, that they’re necessary: and a pain when you forget them … !   But if it means getting one’s bits safe online … 

º        Appropriate in the sense of a) the subject matter and b) the person making the quote.   Terry Pratchett’s documentary is still on: he also used to be press officer for the Central Electricity Generating Board region covering Sellafield.   Joining up, just after the Three Mile Island incident … 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you there. Safety is important.

    1. 1979
    2. Pennsylvania
    3. The China Syndrome
    4. Chernobyl
    5. Japan

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.