Tuesday, 21 May 2013

Django Unchained: Hmmm … 

20th May, 2013

You know, I knew there was a reason to not rent BIG movies from iTunes, I really did.

Hmm … 

I should maybe explain that, shouldn’t I … ?   Remember me saying, a couple of weeks ago, now, that I’d borrowed a copy of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.

Mostly because I’d found the sheer size of the downloadable file to be unexpectedly large … ?

Well, I have to admit to having been a good boy, this month — funds being what they are — and really not downloaded much.

Frankly … ?

Frankly, I had enough leftover bandwidth — and scraped out iTunes credit — to rent a movie.


A big movie, for once.

Quentin Taratino’s 2012 release, Django Unchained.

And … ?

And, I’ll tell you in the rest in the morning: Django Unchained is in Peter Jackson/James Cameron territory, length wise … !

~≈†≈~

21st May, 2013

Now, about Django Unchained … ?

I was saying about BIG files, wasn’t I … ?   Yes, I was.

You see, having little to do, last night, and enough spare bandwidth — and iTunes credit — going begging, I decided to rent myself a movie.

And as you’ve possibly guessed, the film in question was the 2012 Quentin Tarantino film, Django Unchained.

To be frank … ?

I don’t know if unimpressed’s is the right word: even if it WAS suggested to me, by my mother*.

~≈†≈~

Set some two years before the start of the US Civil War, Django Unchained tells us the story of the eponymous Django — Jamie Foxx — a slave freed by Dr King Schultz (Christoph Waltz), so that the latter can identify some particularly obscure prey.

The pay-off for Django … ?   Is not only money and freedom … But a helping hand in finding his much loved wife: Hildi, (Kerry Washington), who’s currently owned by Leonardo DiCaprio’s evil plantation owner, Calvin J. Candie.

After they’ve tracked down the Brittle Brothers, and earned a few bucks as bounty hunters, of course …

~≈†≈~

Now, the next question logically become “Paul: did you enjoy Django Unchained … ?”

I’ve got to be honest, here: yes …

But frankly, I wasn’t stunned by it, either.

I think that’s partly to do with the fact that I’m not really a big one for westerns†: in whatever form, the genre’s not been one that appeals to me.

And it strikes me that Tarantino has, with Django Unchained made something of a homage to the Westerns he’d grown up on.

Which is possibly where I’m having a problem: I don’t have enough of a liking for the genre to be THAT enthusiastic, although I  know Mr T’s been earning plaudits for the film.

Personally … ?

I’ll leave you with this …
Django Unchained★☆☆☆




























*        Mum’s always been impressed by Tarantino’s work: ever since she saw Pulp Fiction.

†        And frankly, I don’t know if Jonah Hex or Exit Humanity counts … 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.