Wednesday, 8 May 2013

The Daily Teaser — 8-5-2013: And not a theme in sight … 

Ye gods … !

I’ve got to say, I’m not really a football fan.

The one news item that HAS been flagging itself up on the morning news, today … ?

Is the fact that Sir Alex Ferguson, manager of Manchester United, may — MAY, please notice — step down from the post on health grounds.

Any other football manager … ?   Any other football manager, wouldn’t be getting the attention.

But Sir Alex, the most successful football manager in the history of the British game … ?

Well … you can see why just the gossip is grabbing attention … !

Let’s move on: this time tomorrow, we’ll know for sure.

~~~‡~~~

Yesterday’s Teaser saw both Mr Strict and Debbi putting in their answers.

With Mr S bagging five out of six and Debbi bagging six, it also saw Mr S showing us this relevant trailer — for Interview With A Vampire — and Debbi* putting up this post.

Let’s see how they — and you — do with today’s distinctly non-themed questions.   Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 8th May saw Mohandas K. Gandhi begin a 21-day fast against British rule in India.   In which year of the 1930s … ?
Q2) 8th May, 1984, saw the official opening of the Thames Barrier: which features in the 2010 video for which Take That song … ?
Q3) 8th May — in many Lutheran and Anglican traditions — is the feast of Dame Julian of where … ?
Q4) 8th May is also VE, or Victory in Europe, Day: in which month is VJ Day … ?
Q5) And finally … 8th May, 1980, saw the elimination of Smallpox endorsed: by which UN agency … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 7th May, 1718 saw the founding of the city of New Orleans.   What was the name — between 1897 and 1917 — of the city’s famous Red Light District … ?
A1) Storyville: usually, though, locals just called it ‘the District’.
Q2) The first recorded Jazz band from New Orleans were called Kid Ory’s Original Creole … what … ?
A2) Kid Ory’s Original Creole Jazz Band: or Orchestra, in some sources.
Q3) What’s the French name for the oldest part of New Orleans … ?
A3) The Vieux Carré: or French Quarter.
Q4) What was the name of the 2005 hurricane that struck New Orleans … ?
A4) Hurricane Katrina.
Q5) What’s the name of the river that flows through the city … ?
A5) The Lower Mississippi.
Q6) And finally … Anne Rice’s Vampire Chronicles are set — in part — in New Orleans.   What’s the name of the first of the series … ?
A6) Interview With The Vampire.
I’ll leave you with this thought from writer, Roddy Doyle …
“The problem with being Irish... is having ‘Riverdance’ on your back. It’s a burden at times.”
Roddy Doyle born 8 May 1958
And with this tune, as it’s H’s birthday … 


Enjoy your day … 











*        Sounds interesting, Debbi: I’ll look forward to hearing about it.   I’ve ALWAY’s said it: a good read is a good way of finding out about other bits of the world … !   (Oh, by the way, Debbi: it’s kind of a shame, in a way, about Windows 8: that Metro interface looks like the first time they’ve got something right.   You can tell my design tastes are showing, can’t you … ?)

2 comments:

  1. Just to follow up … ? Sir Alex has formally stepped down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you there, Paul! :) What's the old expression about a book being like a frigate? Anyhow, my next post will be a bit longer than usual and will talk more about my (slightly weird) childhood. :)

    1. 1933
    2. I Will Always Love You
    3. Norwich
    4. August
    5. World Health Organization

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.