Sunday, 19 May 2013

The Daily Teaser — 19-5-2013

Oh, well … 

Britain came nineteenth in the Eurovision Song Contest.

Why am I not surprised … ?

Actually, no, I’m never surprised.   We are talking about a contest that — as far as I’m concerned — was really last musically relevant at some point in the 1980s.

What’s more … ?   The last time the UK won, we had to import Katrina and the Waves.

I mean … COME ON!!!!!!!!

Either way … ?

Either way, we got beaten by this year’s Romanian entry: possibly the only time Dracula’s turned up for the gig … 


~≈‡≈~

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi putting up her answers.   With Andy* quickly looking in to tell us Sue was looking out for spoilers, yesterday ALSO saw Debbi† putting up this post: AND bagging five out of six.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s Commonwealth questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 19th May, 1649, saw England named as a Commonwealth, or republic, as a result of its Civil War.   Who was named as Lord Protector, or ruler … ?
Q2) More to the point, what name was given to the Parliament that made the declaration: the Short, Long or Rump … ?
Q3) For how long was England a Commonwealth: ten, eleven or twelve years … ?
Q4) Who was the English King overthrown by the Lord Protector’s forces … ?
Q5) During the Civil War that led up to the Commonwealth, what nickname was given to royal forces … ?
Q6) Similarly, what nickname was given to the Parliamentary forces … ?
Q7) And finally … The Lord Protector in Q1 was replaced by his son.   What was his son’s name … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 18th May, 1948, saw the Legislative Yuan — its Parliament, in other words — of the Republic of China convene for the first time.   In which city … ?
A1) Nanjiang, then under Taiwanese control.
Q2) More to the point, what’s the Legislative Yuan’s nearest equivalent in the People’s Republic of China: the National People’s Congress or the State Council … ?
A2) National People’s Congress.
Q3) 18th May, 2012, saw which well known website start trading on the US NASDAQ exchange … ?
A3) Facebook.
Q4) 18th May, 1944, saw the fall of which Italian monastery … ?
A4) Monte Cassino.
Q5) More to the point, was this to Allied or Axis forces … ?
A5) Allied.
Q6) Finally … 18th May, 1964, saw running battles between gangs of Mods and Rockers: in which English seaside town … ?
A6) Brighton.
Enjoy those, everyone.

I’ll leave you with this thought from England’s Lord Protector …
“I had rather have a plain, russet-coated Captain, that knows what he fights for, and loves what he knows, than that you call a Gentleman and is nothing else.”
Words of the Lord Protector.
And — as the band’s supposed to have been named after a Parliamentarian faction during the Civil War — I’ll leave you with this tune from the Levellers … 


Enjoy your day … 










*        Andy, I didn’t know if you and Sue saw it float past, but here’s‡ my write up … 

†        Glad to be able to help, Debbi! (Oh, by the way … ?  Here’s‡ the write up on last nights episode: SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!)

‡        The 23rd of November, this year, can’t come soon enough … !

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Paul! :) I'll watch the episode later. I'm taking a short break from proofing to do the teaser early.

    1. Oliver Cromwell
    2. Rump
    3. 11
    4. Charles I
    5. the Grandees
    6. the Roundheads
    7. his son, Richard

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.