Thursday, 18 July 2013

The Daily Teaser — 18-7-2013: The Royal College of Arms … 

What the hell … ?

I read somewhere — quite some time ago — that many dreams — and creative ideas, in fact — tend to occur on the cusp of deep sleep and light sleep: and light sleep and waking up.

I know I’ve had quite a few interestingly sweaty dreams that have been interrupted by waking up.

Right at the good bit, too!

This morning, though … ?   That mental border zone saw a phrase floating through my head.

‘Revolutionary Just Got Better’.

Revolutionary Just Got Better’.

Lord knows what THAT’S all about, but it sounds like an ad-man’s wet dream, doesn’t it … ?   Here’s hoping whoever’s writing adverts for the next iMac and/or iOS is reading this: they’d very welcome to use it.   After all, that’s what the Creative Commons license is for.

~≈¥≈~

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi putting in her answers: along with telling us Lefties Rule*, she also bagged four out five.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 18th July, 1555, saw the Royal College of Arms reincorporated: by which English Queen … ?
Q2) The study, creation, granting and blazoning of those arms is known by what name … ?
Q3) The main part of a coat of arms is the escutcheon, which is also known as what: the shield, helmet or background … ?
Q4) If you’re a lady with a coat of arms, what shape IS your escutcheon … ?
Q5) If you’re entitled to a Coat of Arms, you are said to be … what … ?
Q6) Finally … what’s the term for the Japanese equivalent to a coat of arms … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 17th July, 1899, saw the founding of the NEC Corporation.   What does NEC stand for … ?
A1) The Nippon Electric Company: it now stands for nothing, as the company rebranded itself as ‘NEC’ in 1983.
Q2) 17th July, 1917, saw George 5th change the royal family’s surname … to what … ?
A2) Windsor.
Q3) 17th July, 2009, saw two hotels bombed in Jakarta: in which country is Jakarta … ?
A3) Indonesia.
Q4) 17th July, 1952, saw the birth of actor and singer, David Hasselhoff.   In which series did he play Mitch Buchanan … ?
A4) Baywatch: and its various spin-offs.
Q5) Finally … 17th July, 1979, saw rebels capture the capital city of Nicaragua: what’s that capital called … ?
A5) Managua.
Enjoy those: I’ll leave you with this piece from Thomas Gray …
“The boast of heraldry,
the pomp of pow’r,

And all that beauty,
all that wealth e’er gave
Awaits alike the inevitable hour:

The paths of glory lead but to the grave”
Thomas Gray.
And with Coat Of Arms, by Swedish Heavy Metal band, Sabaton … 


Have a good day … 













*        Actually, that’s truer than you think, Debbi†: Prince William’s left handed.   In a few years time, he, literally will be ruling.   So’s President Obama, come to think about it.   And David Cameron: which is possibly the ONLY time I’d mention a Conservative PM.

†        By the way, Debbi: I’ve just had a look at the Special Dedications page: Thanks … ! :D

3 comments:

  1. My pleasure, Paul! :)

    1. Queen Mary I
    2. heraldry
    3. shield
    4. circular
    5. a descendant of the family or house that bears that coat of arms
    6. kamon

    I hope those are right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pink Fluff (trying not to cheat, having seen the answers) Heraldry is an important subject.Sat Jul 20, 07:26:00 am BST

    1. Mary I
    2. heraldry
    3. shield
    4. lozenge
    5. a knight
    6. A kimono of arms ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pink Fluffy MedievalistSat Jul 20, 07:33:00 am BST

    PS There was absolutely no cheating about the lozenge; it's something we medievalists know*. I didn't correctly answer anything I don't know.

    * It's also good for sore throats.

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.