Thursday, 25 July 2013

The Daily Teaser — 25-7-2013: Test Tube Babies

You know, I do like a good documentary.

Really.

I also have to admit, I’m thankful that the BBC run their iPlayer catch-up service.

I complete forgot to tape* last night’s episode of the new series of Who Do You Think You Are.

Una Stubbs, so you know: turns out she’s a relative of Sir Ebeneezer Howard.   Who’s the chap who built Welwyn Garden City.   Which is an interesting claim to fame, if nothing else.

Hmmm … I’ve thrown in the link to the show: feel free to go and catch it … 

~≈†≈~

At any rate, let’s get moving on.

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi putting in her answers: along with letting us know how she’s feeling about things†, she also bagged three out of five.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 25th July, 1978, saw the birth of the world’s first test tube baby.   What was that baby’s name … ?
Q2) What’s the name of the procedure that lead to her conception … ?
Q3) Despite being referred as a test tube baby, our subject was conceived in a what … ?
Q4) Name either of the doctors who developed the procedure.
Q5) Finally … the first test tube baby has a younger sister ALSO conceived the same way: what’s that sister’s name … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 24th July, 1966, saw Michæl Pelkey and Brian Shubert make the world’s first recorded base jump.   From which noted American rock formation … ?
A1) El Capitan, in Yosemite National Park.
Q2) 24th July, 1866, saw which State readmitted to the Union, after the Civil War … ?
A2) Tennessee.
Q3) 24th July, 2011, saw the switchover — from analogue to digital TV — in 44 regions of which Far Eastern country … ?
A3) Japan.
Q4) 24th July, 1950, saw the opening of which well known US Air Base … ?
A4) Cape Canaveral.
Q5) Finally … 24th July, 1878, saw the birth of which Irish writer … ?
A5) Edward John Moreton Drax Plunkett, 18th Baron of Dunsany: also known as Lord Dunsany.
Enjoy those.

I’ll leave you with this thought …
“All examinations showed the baby is quite normal”
Patrick Steptoe.
And this: as I couldn’t find a song about test tube babies … 


Have a good day … 













*        I meant record, of course: but isn’t it funny how words stick around, sometimes … ?

†        Well … Onwards and upwards, Debbi!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Paul! I'm hanging in there.

    1. Louise Joy Brown
    2. in vitro fertilisation
    3. a petri dish
    4. Patrick Steptoe and Robert Edwards
    5. Natalie Brown

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.