Friday, 19 July 2013

The Daily Teaser — 19-7-2013: The SS Great Britain

Bloody HELL … !

I have to admit, I’ve got a documentary on, I recorded last night: a repeat of one I’d already seen about household killers in the Victorian home.

Amazing what they’d feed kids, back then … !

At ANY rate, that wasn’t quite what caught my eyes, on the news, for however briefly I had it on.

Seemingly … ?   Mars was habitable.   OK, four billion years ago: but it WAS habitable.

Wow … !

That made my eyes water.   And if THAT hasn’t set a thousand or so science-fiction writers into an ideas frenzy, then Julian May was right about the human brain … 

~≈∏≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi putting in her answers: along with bagging four out of six*,  she was keeping her fingers crossed about her answers.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 19th July, 1843 saw the launch of the SS Great Britain: what was then the largest ship afloat.   It was also the first to made largely of which metal … ?
Q2) The ship was also one of the first ocean-going ships to be propelled by what: sails, a paddlewheel or a screw-propellor?
Q3) What does the SS in SS Great Britain stand for … ?
Q4) On which set of islands was the ship famously retired to, in 1884?
Q5) Finally … which (then) member of the Royal Family took part in the the ship’s launch … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 18th July, 1555, saw the Royal College of Arms reincorporated: by which English Queen … ?
A1) Mary 1st.
Q2) The study, creation, granting and blazoning of those arms is known by what name … ?
A2) Heraldry.
Q3) The main part of a coat of arms is the escutcheon, which is also known as what: the shield, helmet or background … ?
A3) Shield.
Q4) If you’re a lady with a coat of arms, what shape IS your escutcheon … ?
A4) Lozenge shaped for British ladies: Cartouche shaped for continental ladies.   Oh, and vicars … 
Q5) If you’re entitled to a Coat of Arms, you are said to be … what … ?
A5) Armigerous: or an armiger.
Q6) Finally … what’s the term for the Japanese equivalent to a coat of arms … ?
A6) Mon: also known as a monsho, mondokoro and kamon.
Enjoy those, folks.

I’ll leave you with this thought the ship’s designer …
“… an explosion in the engine room … would have destroyed a lesser ship”
Isambard Kingdom Brunel.
And — in lieu of music — this helpful video.


Have a good day.
















*        Sorry, Debbi†, there’s actually a word for being eligible for a coat of arms: armigerous.   And a woman’s escutcheon is either lozenge or cartouche shaped, depending on whether she’s from Britain, or the continent.   Priests and vicars get a cartouche, too.   It’s an oval, so you know.   (I’ve said it before, and I’ll probably say it again, it always amazes me what I find out … !)

†        Oh, by the way, Debbi, about Neuromancer?   HAve you come across Molly, yet … ?   Gibson always claimed her look, on the cover of the Pretenders first album: personally, I can go with that … 

2 comments:

  1. Molly? That name sounds familiar. Forgive me, but I'm reading 3 books at the moment, and the list just keeps growing. :)

    1. iron
    2. screw propeller
    3. Steam Ship
    4. the Falkland Islands
    5. Prince Philip

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. steel
    2. propellor
    3. super ship ;p
    4. Falklands
    5. Prince Albert

    I've been on it (but knowing about ships isn't my thing)

    Simon always knew there was life on Mars, and he has contacted it.

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.