Tuesday, 30 July 2013

The Daily Teaser — 30-7-2013

Oh, now I love a good documentary.

You’ve worked that out, already: I must have mentioned lord knows how many time.

At ANY rate, I’ve iPlayered — yes, dotted red line, I’ve just made that word up — I’ve iPlayered a documentary I missed last night.

Mary Beard, bless her, doing her Roman Antiquarian bit.

About the one Roman Emperor who needs the help.

Caligula … !

She’s just made the very good point that rulers generally find it handy to have the support of the army: something Egyptian rulers do with remembering.   Oh … and that many Roman statues had replaceable heads: which tells you why these’s so many busts in Rome.

Hmmm … 

Let’s move on, shall we?   While Mary tell’s us a story … 

~≈¥≈~

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: after leaving us a comment about Vogon poetry — possibly the third worst in the universe — she also bagged four out of five.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?   Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License ands video … 

Q1) 30th July, 1963, saw the birth of actress, Lisa Kudrow.   Which character did she play, in Friends … ?
Q2) 30th July, 1975, saw the disappearance of notorious union leader, Jimmy Hoffa.   In which year was he officially declared dead … ?
Q3) 30th July, 1859, saw the first ascent of Grand Combin.   In which mountain range is Grand Combin … ?
Q4) 30th July, 1991, saw Luciano Pavarotti give a free concert: in which London park … ?
Q5) Finally … 30th July, 762AD, saw the founding of the city of Baghdad: in which country is Baghdad … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 29th July, saw the launch of the BBC Light Programme: in which year … ?
A1) 1945.
Q2) The Light Programme is now known as which Radio Station … ?
A2) BBC Radio 2.
Q3) Which Dr Who actor famously appeared in Light Programme comedy, The Navy Lark … ?
A3) Jon Pertwee.   (Ironically, one of the characters he played was called ‘The Master’.)
Q4) The world’s longest running soap-opera — in any format — has its national origins on the BBC Light Programme.   What’s that soap opera’s name … ?
A4) The Archers.
Q5) Finally … the Light Programme ceased broadcasting in September of which year … ?
A5) 1967.
Enjoy those.

I’ll leave you with this thought from Sir Clive Sinclair …
“It was very odd when I did become famous – especially when I got knighted. I found it very embarrassing, really.”
Sir Clive Sinclair, born 30 July 1940
And with this tune from birthday girl, Kate Bush … 


And as I’ve given Caligula a mention … ?   THIS scene from I, Claudius … 


Have a good day.

















*        Which is a point, Debbi: I think I’ve managed to dig up this scene from YouTube: it’s the original radio version of the Vogon Poetry scene.   (No dead swans were harmed in the making of this broadcast … )

1 comment:

  1. Well, lots to check out here! :) Thanks!

    1. Phoebe Buffay
    2. 1982
    3. the western Pennine Alps
    4. Hyde Park
    5. Iraq

    Kate Bush was a favorite of someone I knew at the Social Security Administration offices. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.