Thursday, 20 February 2014

The Daily Teaser — 20-2-2014

Well, that’s my new toy set up … !

You’ve probably realised, by now, that I’ve managed to treat myself to an Apple TV: the little TV set-top box Apple produce, that let’s me stream stuff from my computer, to my TV set.

And I must admit, that — typical of Apple — that was rather easy.

In addition, I’ve also found out something else.   I can stream stuff from my iPod Touch.   Granted, it’s not the complete Airplay effect I’d get with one running iOS 7: but it’s good enough for me!

It’s ALSO got a very familiar interface: if I’ve understood things correctly, the Apple TV runs a version of iOS: complete with a version of Front Row, which my aging Mac mini comes with.

The one … uh … drawback … or potential drawback, at any rate, is that the thing makes full use of the sound system I’ve got hooked up to the TV.

To the point where I had to do some serious volume adjusting … !

Ahem … !

~≈Œ≈~

At any rate, let’s get a move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: and bagging ten out of ten.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?   Here they are, along with the How ToLicense and video … 

Q1) 20th February, 1986, saw the USSR launch the Mir Space Station.   What does ‘Mir’ mean in English … ?
Q2) 20th February, 1958, saw the UK Government announce it was closing one of the oldest naval dockyards in the UK: which docks … ?
Q3) 20th February, 1998, saw Tara Lipinski become the youngest winner of a gold medal, at the Nagano Winter Olympics.   In which sport did she win that medal … ?
Q4) Talking of medals, 20th February, 1978, saw the awarding of the last ever Order Of Victory.   Who received that medal … ?
Q5) Finally … 20th February, 1993, saw two 10-year-olds charged with the murder of two year old James Bulger, in Liverpool.   Which film was claimed to have influenced the killers?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 19th February, 1906, saw the Kellogg’s company founded: as the Battle Creek Toasted Corn Flake Company.   In which US state is Battle Creek: Michigan, Maryland or Missouri?
A1) Michigan.
Q2) The company was famously founded by W. K. Kellogg: what did the W stand for … ?
A2) Will.
Q3) More to the point, what did the K stand for … ?
A3) Keith.
Q4) Cornflakes — the Kellogg’s Company’s first product — are made from  corn: also known as which ‘m’ … ?
A4) Maize.
Q5) Many of those cornflakes are made in the Kellogg’s factory in Trafford Park.   In which English city IS Trafford Park … ?
Q6) Kellogg’s Frosties — or Frosted Flakes, in the US and Canada — are cornflakes coated in what?
A6) Sugar.
Q7) More to the point, which cartoon animal’s on that box of Frosties?
Q8) Kellogg’s Rice Krispies — or Rice Bubbles, if we’re Down Under — famously go ‘Snap! Crackle!’ … and what … ?
A8) Pop!
Q9) Which of Kellogg’s cereals challenges you to lose six pounds in two weeks … ?
A9) Special K.
Q10) Finally … what’s the name of the rooster on boxes of Kellogg’s Cornflakes … ?
A10) Cornelius.
I’ll leave you with this song … 


And this thought …
“If you are anxious about death, then you don’t have a sense of the oneness of things—you feel that after death, you will be no more.”
Sydney Poitier, born February 20, 1927
Have a good day.












*        Oh, Debbi, did I tell you I’ve got an Apple TV … ?   It’s working nice and well with my Mac, but as you’re running a newer version of the OS … ?   You’ll probably find it HANDY … !

1 comment:

  1. Apple TV, huh? Interesting.

    1. peace or world
    2. the Malta Naval Dockyard
    3. figure skating
    4. Leonid Brezhnev
    5. Childs Play 3

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.