You know, I’ve got to confess to getting very excited about the phrase ‘binge watching.’
Watching a box set — of movies or episodes of a TV series — in one go.
And will happily admit to having recently started to binge-watch series one of Sky/Showtime co-production, Penny Dreadful.
Thus far … ?
Thus far, I’m impressed with the piece.
And, having watched two episodes, tonight — episodes 3 and 4, Resurrection and Demimonde — am STILL impressed.
~≈‡≈~
Episode 3 initially opens with a pre-title scene: that shows us a young Dr Frankenstein: his boyhood fascination with the romantic poets, the effect the death of his dog has on him …
And, following her attempts to console him, the death of his mother: from consumption.
And the start of his researches into death.
The episode then follows directly onto events immediately following episode 2: by showing us the death of Frankenstein’s new creation, Proteus … at the hands of the Creature (Rory Kinnear).
Frankenstein’s first creation, in other words.
The Creature is angered at having been rejected by his creator, when first made: and want’s Frankenstein to do something for him.
Make him a mate …
~≈‡≈~
Meanwhile, back at the house of Sir Malcolm, Sir Malcolm and Vanessa are re-joined by Ethan: who’s had his curiosity piqued by his initial working for the pair.
The trio head out — with Sembene, Sir Malcolm’s mysterious servant, and with Victor — to London Zoo.
Where they capture Fenton: someone who’s under the influence of a powerful vampire: and who Malcolm determines should be treated by a blood transfusion.
The episode closes with The group going their separate ways: whilst in the cellar, the captive Fenton greets someone with the word “Master” …
~≈‡≈~
Episode 4, Demimonde, sees Malcolm and Victor studying Fenton’s blood still further: with some consultative comments given by Dr Van Helsing (David Warner).
Whilst Vanessa, Dorian and Ethan and Brona head for a night at a theatre called the Grand Guignol. Unknown to all of them?
The Creature lurks back-stage: having been hired as a stage hand by Vincent (Alun Armstrong), the Guignol’s actor-manager.
Sembene is ALSO in the audience: although why, we never find out.
And Brona and Dorian have had something of a sexual encounter.
Which is what leads to Brona and Ethan’s argument, near the end of the episode.
Their argument … ? Leads to consequences … and a climax …
~≈‡≈~
Now … impressed … ?
Oh, yes!
Firstly? I have to tip my hat to Rory Kinnear, as Frankenstein’s monster.
It’s been a while since I’ve read Mary Shelley’s original work … but I think that — between his performance and writer John Logan’s scripts — we’ve finally got the definitive take on the Creature.
In a way that Mary, herself, would both recognise and approve of.
Secondly?
Secondly, I’ve got to admit, for all I enjoy Dr Who and Game of Thrones, I’m definitely thinking the pair are being outclassed by this first series of Penny Dreadful.
I can only hope series two, and the recently commissioned series three, carry on the good work.
And lastly … ?
I’d like to ask a question.
I don’t know if I’ve seen something this good on a TV screen, since Torchwood: Children of Earth.
So why, given they’re capable of it, aren’t the BBC and ITV making genre TV, this good?
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?
I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.
Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.
Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.
If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.
Thank you.
* I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.
† Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.