Wednesday 1 July 2015

The Brentwood Gazette’s Weekly Teaser — 1-7-2015: Cananda Day!

Phew … !

Did I tell you I write quizzes for the Brentwood Gazette: my local newspaper.

I write quizzes for my local paper.

Yeah, you’d guessed, hadn’t you … ?

At ANY rate, I have to confess, I thought I’d sent in July’s, a while ago.

Turn’s out I hadn’t.

Boy, I’m thankful they got in touch.   Today’s posts would’ve look a bit pointless … 

~≈Â≈~

But, at any rate … ?

At any rate: it’s Wednesday: and the Teasers got email in on deadline.

Which means, of course, it’s time for THIS week’s Weekly Teaser.

So, without much further ado … ?

Here’s this week’s questions: covered by the usual Creative Commons License* …
Q1) 1st July is Canada Day.   Canada is on which continent: North America, South America or Asia?
Q2) Canada consists of ten provinces, and how many territories?
Q3) Name any one of those territories.
Q4) Name any of the ten provinces.
Q5) Canada’s flag is red and white.   What leaf features on the Canadian flag?
Q6) What’s the capital city of Canada?
Q7) What’s Canada’s largest city?
Q8) Canada has ten regional languages, and two official languages.   Name either of the two official languages.
Q9) The UK’s Queen is monarch of Canada.   Her current Canadian representative is David Johnston.   As such, he holds which post?
Q10) Finally … The Aboriginal peoples of Canada fall into three broad groups.   Name one of those groups.
Here’s last week’s questions and answers …
Questions.
Q1) 24th June saw the founding of Britain’s first Grand Lodge.   What fraternal organisation did it organize?
Q2) In which year of the 18th Century was it founded?
Q3) What’s the modern version of the Grand Lodge called?
Q4) Who’s the Grand Lodge’s head?
Q5) The organization’s local groups are called what?
Q6) That group is usually lead by a worshipful whom?
Q7) The group has what’s called three degrees: name one of those degrees.
Q8) While at meetings, members of the group wear evening dress, a sash … and what else?
Q9) The group best known symbol is a Square and Compass: sometimes shown with which letter?
Q10) The Grand Lodge, and the group it represents, claim to be descended from medieval what: stone masons, wheelwrights or carpenters?
Answers.
A1) Freemasonry.
A2) 1717.
A3) United Grand Lodge of England.
A4) The Grand Master, HRH, the Duke of Kent.
A5) A Lodge.   (When I originally wrote this set, I wrote Q5 as ‘The organization’s local chapters are called what?’   Strictly speaking, though, I’m told a ‘chapter’ is the name given to local branches of the Holy Royal Arch order: a sister body that you can only join if you’re already a Master Mason.)
A6) Its Worshipful Master.
A7) Entered Apprentice, Fellowcraft and Master Mason.
A8) A masonic apron.
A9) G.
A10) Stonemasons.
I’ll catch you next time … 












*        All that means is that you’re free to copy, use, alter and build on each of my quizzes: including the Teasers, Gazette Teasers and the Friday Question Sets.   All I ask in return is that you give me an original authors credit on your event’s flyers or posters, or on the night: and, if you republish them, give me an original authors credit AND republish under the same license.   A link back to the site — and to the Gazette’s, if that’s where you’ve found these — would be appreciated: as would pressing my donate button, here.   Every penny is gratefully received.

No comments: