Thursday 30 July 2015

The Daily Teaser — 30-7-2015: Emily And Other Brontës

Oh … 

Blast … !

My kettle’s committed suicide … !


Well, ok, that’s not EXACTLY what happened … !

But I’ve woken up, this morning, to find that my kettle — one I’ve had for years — finally seems to have died.

And, being frank … ?   I only actually noticed, when I realised the little light that comes on, when the thing’s switched on, was on … 

But the element wasn’t heating the water.

I’m fond of a cup of tea, in the morning.

So, as you can imagine … ?

That’s … annoying, to say the least … 

Especially as it’s happened the day before payday!

Oh, well … looks like my local Wilko’s will be getting more money off me … !

~≈Â≈~

But let’s get a move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* and Olga† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s rather literary questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How ToLicense and video

Q1) 30th July saw the birth of novelist, Emily Brontë.   In which year: 1817, 1818, or 1819?
Q2) Emily was the 3rd youngest child of the Brontë siblings: which Brontë sister was the youngest of the family?
Q3) Who was the oldest surviving sibling?
Q4) Who was the only surviving Brontë brother?
Q5) The name of the one novel Emily wrote and published was Wuthering … what?
Q6) The story tells us of the love between Heathcliff and Catherine.   Catherine who?
Q7) Who, in 1978, released a song based on Emily’s novel?
Q8) Emily’s sister, Anne, wrote two novels.   Her first was Agnes Grey.   What was her second called?
Q9) Emily’s other sister, Charlotte, wrote four published novels: name any of them.
Q10) Finally … in which year of the 1840s did Emily die?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 29th July, 1973, saw the people of Greece vote to abolish what: the monarchy, the Armed forces or the Drachma?
A1) The Monarchy.
Q2) Astronomers announced the discovery of dwarf planet, Eris: on 29th July, 2005.   What’s the name of Eris’ moon?
A2) Dysnomia.
Q3) 29th July, 1905, saw the birth of silent era actress, Clara Bow.   What was the name of her final film?
A3) Hoop-la.
Q4) 29th July, 1567, saw James 6th crowned as king of where: England, Scotland or Wales?
A4) Scotland.   (He became king a few days earlier, when his mother, Mary, Queen of Scots, died: and later became James 1st of England.)
Q5) Finally … The Tipperary Revolt was put down: on 29th July, 1848.   The revolt took place during which Irish famine?
A5) The Potato Famine.
I’ll leave you with this observation from Virginia Woolf …
“But it was not enough for Emily Brontë to write a few lyrics, to utter a cry, to express a creed. In her poems she did this once and for all, and her poems will perhaps outlast her novel.”
Virginia Woolf, writing in 1916.
And this tune …


Enjoy your day … !









*        I’ll be honest, Debbi, I didn’t listen to more than a few couple of minutes: but as it was Elise’s birthday, yesterday, it seemed an appropriate one to use.   (It’s sort of the same with today’s: only I went on the name of the band, so to speak … !   Oh, it looks like Olga’s got a YA novel, published, today: do you mind sharing the sidebar … ? :D )

†        Oh, it’s published, today, Olga … !   Good luck with the sales of that one: I know, from Debbi, it’s a tough gig!   (Hmm … you know, if you’ve a website, would you like me to add a link to it, in my sidebar?   Debbi’s been there for some time: as she’s been such an avid supporter of what I’ve been doing, it seemed only fair.)

2 comments:

Debbi said...

I would, but I can't find it. Please let me know the name and Amazon link, etc. Thanks! :)

1. 1818
2. Anne
3. Charlotte
4. Patrick Branwell
5. Heights
6. Earnshaw
7. Kate Bush
8. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall
9. Jane Eyre
10. 1848

Olga said...

Q1) 30th July saw the birth of novelist, Emily Brontë. In which year: 1817, 1818, or 1819? 1818
Q2) Emily was the 3rd youngest child of the Brontë siblings: which Brontë sister was the youngest of the family? Anne
Q3) Who was the oldest surviving sibling? Charlotte.
Q4) Who was the only surviving Brontë brother? Branwell
Q5) The name of the one novel Emily wrote and published was Wuthering … what? Heights.
Q6) The story tells us of the love between Heathcliff and Catherine. Catherine who? Earnshaw
Q7) Who, in 1978, released a song based on Emily’s novel? Kate Bush
Q8) Emily’s sister, Anne, wrote two novels. Her first wasAgnes Grey. What was her second called? The tenant of Wildfell Hall
Q9) Emily’s other sister, Charlotte, wrote four published novels: name any of them. Jane Eyre, Villette…
Q10) Finally … in which year of the 1840s did Emily die? 1848
This is too funny. Tomorrow I publish a post in my blog about the Bronte sisters, and about two novels by an author I know, Luccia Gray, that continue the story of Jane Eyre. Thanks so much for the offer. I leave you the link to my blog (with these 6 books, as I publish in English and Spanish and this was a trilogy, I'm on 18 so far. Not braking any sales records, I might add, although the first book in this series is now free, so if anybody fancies it...)
This is the link to my blog: http://OlgaNM.wordpress.com
If you want to check the first book in the series... http://bit.ly/1KcPtI6
Thanks so much! (Love Haworth and Wuthering Heights in particular).