Saturday 18 August 2018

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 18th August, 2018

18th August, 2018.


Yes: I’m up good and early, again.

And frankly?

I’m starting to to think working late nights — as I did, in the pub game, back in the day — looks good!

It meant I got late nights, rather than early mornings!

~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 18th August is the feast day of Saint Alberto Hurtado.   He was a member of which order: the Cistercians, Jesuits or Benedictines?
Q2) The Pendle Witch Trials, one of Britain’s first witch trials, started on 18th August, 1612.   The witches were from which English county?
Q3) Which country was banned from the Olympics: on 18th August, 1964?
Q4) Virginia Dare, the first English child born in the Americas, was born on 18th August, 1587: in the famously lost colony of Roanoke Island.   The Colony was in what’s now which US state?
Q5) President Pervez Musharraf resigned as President: on 18th August, 2008.   President of where?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 17th August, 1893, saw the birth of actress, Mae West.   According to one famous quote, she believed in what: God, censorship or gun ownership?
A1) Censorship: she “… made a fortune out of it”.
Q2) Who starred in her film debut, Night After Night: Cary Grant, George Raft or Conrad Veidt?
A2) George Raft.
Q3) 1940 saw Mae appear in My Little Chickadee.   Opposite which comedian?
Q4) Most of Mae’s film were made whilst she worked for which studio: Universal, Amblin or Paramount?
A4) Paramoumt.
Q5) Finally … ?   Her last film, Sextette, was released in which year of the 1970s?
A5) 1978.
Here’s a thought …
“The day of the android has dawned.”
Brian Aldiss, 18 August 1925 – 19 August 2017.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        I know Topol’s done the touring one, Olga.   Now I come to think of it?   So has Leonard Nimoy!    You know, The Full Monty’s another one I’ll have to add to the list of ‘must sees’.   Or, at least, the ‘Must See, Again’ list.   (Oh, I’ve tracked down a copy of Fiddler on the Roof.   Phew! Three hours!   I’m going to have to make a dinner of it!)

†         Amen to THAT, Debbi!   Oh, enjoy Halo Jones!   (It’s worth checking out the author’s Wikipedia entry for further reading.   Alan Moore was never as prolific as Sir Terry.   But there’s some interesting stuff in there.   I’m going to have to do a Teaser … … )

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Jesuits
Q2) Lancashire
Q3) South Africa
Q4) North Carolina
Q5) Pakistan
Yes, it's not a short one (Fiddler...) but you'll recognise a lot of the songs. Leonard Nimoy! Wow! Just in case, I think I might have told you before, but I'm going to be away for a couple of weeks from Monday, and probably I won't have regular access to internet, so don't worry if you don't hear from me. I should be back on the 4th of September or thereabouts (it depends on how long it takes me to set everything up and running).
I don't have a problem getting up early, and although I try not to go to bed too early (I didn't use to mind late nights), unless I am doing something, if I stop, even to watch something, not everything manages to keep me awake these days (James Bond has always sent me to sleep, go figure!)

Debbi said...

It's definitely fun reading!

1. Jesuit
2. either Lancaster or Lancashire (confusing to this American :))
3. South Africa
4. North Carolina
5. Pakistan