Thursday 2 August 2018

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 2nd August, 2018.

2nd August, 2018.


Yep: it’s a day off.

And frankly?

I’m going to spend a lot of it, sweltering.

It’s going to be another hot one.


I think I want the rain back.

~≈§≈~

One thing I know I’ve heard about … ?

That, just recently, London was home to the London Film and Comic Con.

Which I probably couldn’t afford to have gone to unless you paid me!

But there you go.

I notice, though, the Christopher Ecclestone was there.

The man who played the Doctor for one season … who got a hug from Capaldi and Smith.

The who left … after the relationship between him and show runner, Russell T. Davies, broke down.

I don’t know about the convention … 

But I’d’ve loved to have been a fly on the wall for that first series.

~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with Olga scoring five out of five, and Debbi on three.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) During the Meiji Restoration, 2nd August, 1869, saw the Edo class system abolished.   Restoration, and classes, were in which Asian nation?
Q2) 2nd August, 1984, the European Court of Human Rights rule that British Police couldn’t do what: tap phones, arrest people or accept drinks?
Q3) The Government of India Act 1858came into force on 2nd, 1858.   The act let the British Crown govern India.   Instead of whom?
Q4) London’s first underground railway opened on 2nd August, 1870.   Between Vine Street: and which Hill?
Q5) Finally … ?   2nd August is the feast day of Basil the Blessed.   His major shrine is in which Russian city?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 1st August, 1855, saw the first successful ascent of the second highest peak in the Alps.   What is that peak?
Q2) 1st August, 10 BC saw the birth of the Roman Emperor, Claudius: the first Emperor born outside Rome.   Claudius was born in a town called Lugdunum: in what’s now which country?
A2) France.   Lugdunum is now Lyon.
Q3) 1st August is Azerbaijani language Day.   How many letters are there in the Azerbaijani alphabet?
Q4) The Federal Capital of Pakistan was named: on 1st August, 1960.   What IS that capital?
A4) Islamabad.
Q5) Finally … 1st August, 1965, saw the birth of director, Sam Mendes.   1994, he directed a version of which stage musical?
A5) Cabaret.
Here’s a thought …
“If I were interested in reality, I’d be making documentaries.”
Wes Craven, August 2, 1939 – August 30, 2015.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        The guns are definitely scary, Olga: it’s … not good!   On a lighter note?   I’d’ve loved to have seen the Mendes take on Cabaret: Alan Cummins as the MC was supposed to be riveting.   Joel Grey was relatively mild, by comparison.   (The Barcelona cut still sounds good!)


†        I’m with you, there, Debbi: I’m grateful to see those plans have been blocked.   I’m willing to bet they’ve been leaked to the Dark Net, though.   Do you remember a character in Neuromancer, called the Finn?   He’d not have gone near them, I think.   Johnny Mnemonic‡, on the other hand?   Has a hand made shotgun at the start of the story.

‡        Vat-grown ninja assassins, handmade shotguns, and cybernetically enhanced, junkie dolphins^?   You have to love a short story …

^        That never got mentioned in the movie.  Don’t get me started on the movie …

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Japan
Q2) Tap phones
Q3) The British East India Company
Q4) Tower
Q5) Moscow
Yes, I remember seeing him talk about Cabaret when he went to the US.Yes, the version I saw in Barcelona was very good as well. My mother was doubtful because the actress playing the main part, called Nina, who had represented Spain in Eurovision with a less than shining performance. But she nailed it and has become a well respected and loved performer since...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZrthzxJ1M8
I also saw her in Mama Mia, playing Meryl Streep's part... and yes, she can sing, something I would not accuse Meryl of.
Enjoy your day off (here it's terribly hot as well, but I know it's more unusual there).

Debbi said...

Wow! I love the Wes Craven quote! :)

I am putting together a very short documentary of a local protest over Trump's immigration policies re: families.

1. Japan
2. tap phones
3. the British East India Company
4. Tower Hill
5. Moscow

William Gibson gets a mention in my latest Crime Cafe podcast. I'm reading a novel now that's kind of like Raymond Chandler meets William Gibson. Kinda sorta. :)

It's called "Gun, with Occasional Music": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun,_with_Occasional_Music

You might enjoy it.