Thursday, 3 September 2026

For All Mankind — Series 5 Episode 9 — “Sons and Daughters” — A Review

1st September, 2026.
“Sons and Daughters”.
The Introduction.
Right at the moment, I am desperately staving off earworms.

I’ve had the theme to vintage Australian soap, Sons and Daughters, earworming its way through my head for approximately a week, now.


Because … ?

Because, right now, I’m cremating a burger for dinner: and will be making home made chips to go with it, any minute now.

There might even be vegetables, as well.

The reason I say that … ?

Is that it’s Tuesday.

So I’m going watching the next episode of For All Mankind’s fifth series, after dinner.

And, given I’ve been aware the episode’s called “Sons and Daughters”, since last week?

I’ve had an earworm.

At any rate … ?

I’ll be watching “Sons and Daughters”, tonight.

And, hopefully?

Will have my review up by this coming Friday.

Assuming the burger isn’t too crispy!

~≈🪐≈~

Part One.

The Summary.


Episode 9 — “Sons and Daughters” — opens with a shot of the Martian deserts around Happy Valley: showing us Alex and Lily (Sean Kaufman and Ruby Cruz) biking from one part of the base to another.

Only to spot the threatened M-6 ships landing the near the base.

Once we get past the credits?

Once we get past the opening credits, the scene shifts to Titan.

Where the landing party led by Kelly Baldwin (Cynthy Wu), has just reached the SEEKER robot that had gathered samples: samples that seem to have no conclusive signs of life.

As does communications with Mars: the Sojourner, the ship that’s transported the team to Titan has had no word from home … 

That radio silence is caused by something we’ve seen, but the Titan mission hasn’t.

It’s caused by the invading M-6 marines: a force who manage capture Celia, seriously injure several of the colonists, and manage to kill some of Martian Peace Keepers.

Martian Peaces that are supposed to be on the M-6 invaders side … 

~≈🪐≈~

2nd September, 2026.
Part Two.
Initial Thoughts and Observations.

Now … what did I make of “Sons and Daughters”?

Of this ninth episode?

Hmmm … 

I’ve written how earlier episodes of this fifth season have been tense: with “Brave New World”, the last episode, keeping me on the edge of my seat.

“Sons and Daughters” is just as tense.

But … ?

I don’t know what it is, but something seemed a little off about the episode.

The cast?

Were as good as they’ve ever been.

The action, the fight scenes?

Were well choreographed.

The big climactic ending, with Alex giving an ultimatum to no less a person than Dev Ayesha (Edi Gathegi)?

Was fantastic: and tells us a lot about Alex’s development as a character, going to child, to teenager to assertive adult and medic, over the course of series four and five.

On reflection … ?

I think I know what’s bothering me about “Sons and Daughters”.

The length.

~≈🪐≈~

Part Three.
Length.

Did I mention I’ve seen earlier episodes of the series?

I’ve seen earlier episodes of the series: and most of the are a minute or two over the fifty minute mark.

With the exception of “The Hard Six”, which clock in at forty-five minutes, and “No Sudden Moves” at forty-eight minutes.

They were shorter the most of the rest of the series: but well paced.

I think what’s bothering me about “Sons and Daughters”?

It’s the fact that the episode comes in at some forty-three minutes: significantly shorter than most other episodes.

“Is that a flaw?” I hear you ask.

I don’t know: not for sure.

But … ?

But as good as the episode is, an extra five minutes could have developed the story a little further: certainly could have given us more hints of what’s happening on Titan.

~≈🪐≈~

Part Four.
Finally.

So … what did I think of “Sons and Daughters”?

Of this penultimate episode of what’s proved to a very good series?

I have to admit: I enjoyed it.

“Sons and Daughters” is as tense as the rest of the series, just as tense, well written and well acted.

But I’m a little disappointed in it’s length.

Even though I’m aware the last episode of this series, “This Land Is Our Land” comes in at some seventy minutes, I feel some of those minutes could have been shaved off of episode ten … and added to episode nine.

Nonetheless, “Sons and Daughters” is a very watchable episode, carries the story forward … 

And leaves me looking forward to “This Land Is Our Land”.

Frankly?

I’ll be looking forward to seeing that on Tuesday.


“Sons and Daughters”.
★★★☆

~≈🪐≈~

Part Five.
The Last Word.

After all of the talk?

After all of the talk, that’s where I’m going to be leaving things: having watched the penultimate episode of series five.

When I watch “This Land Is Our Land” on Tuesday, I’m hoping for a big conclusion: that closes the series well, leaves threads open for the sixth and last season … and won’t make me think of Woody Guthrie songs!


In the meantime?

Feel free to subscribe to my YouTube channel, feel free to tip, feel free to try the Daily Teasers

And if you’ve enjoyed what I’m doing … ?

Come back, next week.

I’ll see you then.

No comments: