Sunday 8 February 2009

On a serious note





















Well, it’s happened.

Following his SAG award and the parallel Golden Globe, the late Heath Ledger has been given the Best Supporting gong at this year’s film BAFTA’s.

I must say I’m pleased for his family.

But I’ve always felt, though, that this is a tragedy on many levels.

As with many, I saw “Dark Knight”, and both enjoyed the film, and was impressed by the various performances in it, the late Mr Ledger’s among them.

What makes this such a sad thing for me is the simple fact that – although I cannot be certain and would not have the arrogance to claim to be –  deserving of the award though he was, I believe his death gave him a big sympathy vote.

I’ve an old friend, Graham, who disagrees.   Hopefully, he’ll be able to put his views up, once his net connection’s back up and running, but who felt that the performance Heath put in got him the gong, and that any sympathy factor was negligible.

We’ll never know, I think.

On a more positive note, I’m rather pleased – RABID “Dr Who” fan that I am – that Noel Clarke, who I know from his performances as Mickey Smith in Dr Who, has picked up the Rising Star gong.   Turns out that this award was open to a public vote, and I can’t help but wonder how much influence his appearance as Mickey played in that.

Either way, I think congratulations are in order for both of them.

No comments: