Tuesday 3 February 2009

A thought about the new boy

You know, it occurs that I’ve just posted up pictures of the tenmost watched men on British TV, along with an eleventh, who is soon to join them.

And it’s also occurred that, firstly, I’m looking to seeing how Matt Smith does.   I honestly believe that Stephen Moffat and company have made a very good choice, young though he is.   He seems right.

But here’s my second point.   He’s young.   And I’m sure that, like many young people, today, he may have something of a relaxed view on … lets call them recreational substances.

Now, like some of my friends, I don’t chose to indulge.   I have other friends who do.   I try to be tolerant about this – all I ask of my friends who do indulge, is not to indulge under my roof.


But, while I think this is a decision that is very much down to the individual, I also am very aware that Matt Smith is in a VERY public role, and hopefully will be very aware of this.

I’m VERY aware that William Hartnell had a long history of alcoholism, which seriously affected his health, in later years, something kept very quiet from the hordes of younger Dr Who fans, at the time.

I also find myself wondering exactly WHAT the BBC’s policy is on – informally, or otherwise – drug and alcohol testing of its major and oh so visible talent.

Matt Smith strikes me as sensible, though.   And not the sort of person to risk his big career break on something stupid.

But …

1 comment:

Nik Nak said...

Just as a thought, I read a fascinating interview with Russell T. Davies and David Tennant on the Sunday Times website, courtesy of the Planet Gallifrey blog.

Here’s the link; –

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/tv_and_radio/article6022914.ece?Submitted=true