Monday 23 February 2009

The Power of Names

You know, it’s not often I add to the assorted pile that is “Nik Nak’s Laws for Smooth Talking Bar Stewards”, but every so often, I get urges …

I’ve link the relevant post into the name, but just to summarise, I’ve been trotting these out in various forms, over the years, and generally got laughter … much of it rueful, when people have spotted one or another of them makes immediate sense.

Law’s 2, 13, and 30 get a lot of comment, in that sense!

But something that has come up, that got me thinking.

Names.

Oh-so-powerful things, names …

Something that writer Terry Pratchett has been saying a lot, recently, is that “… in order to conquer a demon, we have to name it”.

Granted, he’s talking here about Alzheimer’s, and very right to, I think.   Alzheimer’s is a horrible condition, and, having seen it kill a much loved grandparent, know it’s little talked about subject.

It … that taboo is getting to me, as well … Alzheimer’s, and other equally taboo conditions* – depression springs to mind, as does Anorexiaº as examples – will probably get a lot more research funding, when people get talking about them.

But I’m digressing, aren’t I?

What I meant to say is that I’ve added another one.

Kind of inspired by the simple fact someone used me work name – Nik Nak – when I was off duty.   It’s not often I get snotty about these things, but that got me mildly snotty.   Especially coming from someone who usually knows a bit better!

Usually I don’t mind it from some folk – mostly those co-workers or customers who’ve know me as Nik Nak for years – but from anyone else, it’s Paul, thank you!

Anyway, Law 34 …


Law 34.


Work names, or pub nicknames are only to be used WHEN ON DUTY!!

I don’t get snotty, often, but …




* We shouldn’t ignore things like child abuse, either, I think.   To the best of my recall, it was only when Esther Rantzen started to give the subject an airing on “That’s Life”, more people became aware that there was a lot more of this going than previous thought, and that there was very little help for child abuser’s victims.   It’s not a pleasant thing to have happen to one, and I’m thankful that, unlike one or too friends, and a couple of former partners, I’ve not been a victim of a pædophile.   And I don’t blame anyone who has, who wants to string one up.

º It’s kind of the same with anorexia; – the early death of Karen Carpenter is what really brought it to people’s attention.

No comments: