Saturday 9 February 2013

The Daily Teaser — 9-2-2013

You know, I hate sleeping through my alarm, I really do.   It’s worse, today, though: I didn’t actually put my alarm on … !

What makes it even worse … ?   Is that I’m absolutely skint, and can’t make it to tonight’s DropKixx wrestling matches.

If you’re near Brentwood Theatre*, tonight, though … ?   Get yourself along to the gig: you won’t see me, but you will see a certain Cayden Blade.   Who assures me he’s on rather good form for his match … !

At ANY rate … ?   Let’s get moving on to todays questions, shall we?

Yes, let’s … 

~~~~~~~~

Yesterday’s saw Debbiº putting in her answers: along with writing up this post, also bagging 5 out of 5.   (I should also point out, she was joined, via Twitter, by @soolebop: bagging 2 out of 5.)

Let’s see how they — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?   Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, license and video



Q1) Which Pope was elected to office, on 9th February, 1621: Gregory 14th, Gregory 15th or Gregory 16th … ?
Q2) 9th February, 1964, saw the Beatles make their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show: name any of the three songs they performed … ?
Q3) 9th February, 1962, saw which Caribbean nation become independent … ?
Q4) More to the point, who’s that country’s Head of State … ?
Q5) And finally … 9th February, 1913, saw a huge cloud of what over North and South America … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 8th February, 1865, saw Delaware vote against the 13th Amendment to the US Constitution: the amendment that rejected slavery.   In which year did Delaware finally ratify it … ?   A1) 1901.
Q2) 8th February, 1971, saw the opening of the NASDAQ stock market: was it the first, second or third electronic stock market… ?   A2) The first.
Q3) 8th February, 1983, saw Ariel Sharon quit his Israeli government post, after enquiries into two massacres.   Which post was it … ?   A3) Defence Minister.
Q4) 8th February, 1915, saw the debut of controversial film, The Birth Of A Nation: which far-right group did it put in an unjustified, favourable light … ?   A4) The Ku Klux Klan.
Q5) And finally … 8th February, 1950, saw the formal founding of the Stasi: which country’s secret police were the Stasi … ?   A5) East Germany’s.
As today marks the birthday of Carmen Miranda, I’ll leave you with Tico, Tico



And with this quote from Mia Farrow …
“I want a big career, a big man, and a big life. You have to think big - that's the only way to get it... I just couldn't stand being anonymous.”Mia Farrow, February 9, 1945.
Enjoy today: and try and get to Brentwood Theatre, for that wrestling … 












*        The booking line number is 01277 200305: although I don’t know if it’s open on Saturdays.

º        Well … I couldn’t help but hit the ‘Like’ button, Debbi … ! :D   Oh, Macwise: I know the default mouse only has one button: but the Trackpad they sell for them are usable one handed: you can set them up so a two-fingered tap triggers a ctrl/right click.   And Final Draft is on the App Store.   (Ruth was asking as she’s bagged a bursary from her uni: she’s still umming and ahhing about what to do with it.)

1 comment:

Debbi said...

Thank you, Paul! :) And, as usual, I love your quote and video.

1. Pope Gregory XV
2. All My Loving, Till There Was You, and She Loves You
3. Jamaica
4. Portia Simpson-Miller
5. meteors