Wednesday, 16 April 2014

The Daily Teaser — 16-4-2014: The Last Battle

Whoah … !

I have to admit, I’m in a mild rush, this morning: I’ve got an appointment with my employment adviser, today.

At 9·20.

AND I’ve got to pick up some medication, as well.

All that … ?

And I think I need both a loaf: but definitely need to pick up — and post for — this week’s Gazette.

I’d better get a move on, hadn’t I … ?

~≈Ì≈~

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: and scoring seven out of seven.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How ToLicense and video

Q1) 16th April, 1457BC, was the date of the Battle of Megiddo: the earliest recorded human battle.   Megiddo was in what’s now which Middle Eastern country … ?
Q2) What was the area called at the time: Assyria, Babylon or Canaan?
Q3) The battle between force led by Thutmose 3rd: ruler of which country … ?
Q4) Megiddo, itself, sat on the Via Maris: a major trade route linking Egypt to which ‘M’ … ?
Q5) Finally … the Battle of Megiddo gives its name to Armageddon, the final battle in the Bible.   In which book of the Bible does Armageddon appear?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 15th April, 1945, saw the liberation of Bergen-Belsen Concentration Camp: by troops from which country’s armed forces?
A1) The UK’s.
Q2) In which country was the Camp … ?
A2) Germany: Lower Saxony, to be exact.
Q3) Initially, the camp was run by troops from the German Army.   The camp later run by which  Nazi organisation … ?
A3) The Schutzstaffel: or SS.
Q4) How many people are estimated to have died at Bergen-Belsen: forty thousand, fifty thousand or sixty thousand … ?
Q5) Jewish prisoners in the camp were forced to wear a yellow … what … ?
Q6) What sort of badge were gay prisoners forced to wear in Bergen-Belsen … ?
A6) A pink triangle: later adopted by Gay rights campaigners.
Q7) What name — at the now notorious Wannsee Conference — did the Nazi’s apply to what they were doing camps like Bergen Belsen … ?
A7) The Final Solution.
Q8) The Nazi exterminations are known as The Holocaust: what’s the Hebrew term for the mass murders … ?
A8) Shoah: or ‘The Catastrophe’, if you want that in English.
Q9) What’s the legal term for the mass killing practiced by the Nazis: suicide, homicide, genocide or regicide … ?
A9) Genocide.
Q10) Finally … what’s the name of the Holocaust Memorial built in Jerusalem, in 1953 … ?
A10) Yad Vashem.
I’ll leave you with this thought about Thutmose 3rd.
“Thutmose 3rd’s floruit can therefore be rightly regarded as a watershed in the military and imperial history of the entire eastern Mediterranean.”
From The Northern Wars Of Thutmose III, by Donald B. Redford.
And this song … 


Have a good day.











*        Blimey: Belsen yesterday, and the Battle of Megiddo, today.   Is it me, Debbi, or am I having a doomy patch … ?

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there, Paul!

    1. Israel
    2. Canaan
    3. Egypt
    4. the Mediterranean
    5. Revelations

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.