Sunday, 27 April 2014

The Daily Teaser — 27-4-2014

Ooooooh … 

I think I know what’s causing the assorted aches and pains, at the mo.

I need to clean my bed-sheets.

Well, not quite.

What I actually need to do is turn my mattress over.   I usually find the side I HAVERN’t squashed by sleeping on, is flatter: and comfier to sleep on.

At least, that’s been my experience, so far.

Frankly … ?   I don’t see that changing for a while!

~≈Œ≈~

But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: and scoring nine out of ten.

Let’s see how she — and you — do With today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How ToLicense and video … 

Q1) 27th April, 1840, saw the first foundation stone laid, for the building that now houses the UK’s Houses of Parliament.   What IS that building … ?
Q2) 27th April, 1927, saw the formal founding of the Carabineros de Chile: Chile’s what … ?
Q3) 27th April, 1945, saw Italian partisan’s arrest whom … ?
Q4) 27th April is Independence Day, in two African countries: name either …
Q5) Finally … 27th April, 2002, saw NASA — and others — receive the last signals from which space probe … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 26th April, 1933, saw the formation of Nazi Germany’s secret police force: what was it called?
A1) The Geheime Staatspolizei, or Gestapo.
Q2) Which Nazi founded the force … ?
Q3) From 1934, the leader of the SS headed the force: in his role as overall Chief of Germany’s police forces.   What was his name … ?
Q4) Jews, Freemasons, catholics and protestants were all classed as ‘Sects and Churches’, by the force: and thus, dealt with by which of the force’s departments … ?
A4) Department B.
Q5) On a similar note, which department was responsible for counter-intelligence … ?
A5) Department E.
Q6) Which member of the force was known as The Butcher Of Lyon … ?
Q7) In the same vein, which senior officer was also one of the main architects of the Holocaust: and assassinated in Prague?
Q8) The Nazi’s Secret Police cooperated — for a while — with the Soviet secret police: what was the name of the latter body … ?   (It’s wasn’t the KGB, so you know: that was only created in 1954.)
A8) The Народный комиссариат внутренних дел, or Narodnyy Komissariat Vnutrennikh Del: also known as the People's Commissariat for Internal Affairs, or NKVD .
Q9) What — after World War 2 — was the name of Communist East Germany’s secret police force … ?
A9) The Ministerium für Staatssicherheit, or Ministry for State Security : better known as the Stasi.
Q10) Finally … the force was found to be a criminal organization, after WW2.   By which body … ?
A10) The International Military Tribunals: also called the IMT and Nuremburg War Crimes Trials.
I’ll leave you with this song … 


And this thought …

“Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars.”
Casey Kasem, born 27th April, 1932.
Enjoy your day.










*        Oh, my pleasure, Debbi!   I’ll also admit to agreeing with various reviewers: that say his finest work is the non-Discworld book, Nation, is possibly his best work.   It’s certainly the only book I’ve read that has a central character called Ermintrude … (Oh, I’m ALSO going in something of a different direction, at the moment: I’m reading Iain M. BanksThe Hydrogen Sonata, his last science fiction novel.)

1 comment:

  1. I've been reading an assortment of books lately. All interesting.

    1. Palace of Westminster
    2. national police force
    3. Mussolini
    4. Sierra Leone and Togo
    5. Pioneer 10

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.